Atheism Quotes

A few of my favorites:

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
— Stephen Roberts

“I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires.”
– Susan B. Anthony

“Faith is believing something you know ain’t true.”
– Mark Twain

“Religions are all alike – founded upon fables and mythologies.”
– Thomas Jefferson

A Short History of Lobotomy

From Phineas Gage to using ice picks as surgical instruments, this is a pretty good short summary of the history of lobotomies.

One day, mulling over the problem at home, Freeman remembered that the apple-corer had been a source of inspiration for Moniz, and began to rummage through the contents of his kitchen drawers. Soon he found precisely what he was looking for: a cheap, mass produced ice pick for stabbing pieces of ice off large commercial blocks. Normally used for making cold drinks on hot summer days, it now made its debut as an instrument for brain surgery. (Thank heavens the Kenwood Chef and Magimix had not yet been invented.) Freeman put a special hammer shaped head on the ice pick, which allowed it to be pushed and pulled more easily. It was this instrument that was used in the first transorbital lobotomies in America in a procedure that became known as the “ice pick” lobotomy.

(via del.icio.us/jeremy.lynch)

Mail Call

One thing that happens when you start to blog is you start receiving emails from strangers. To be fair, about 95% of them are very complimentary and supportive. Then you have the other 5%. I thought I would share some of the more interesting emails I have received. I have changed the domain names of the emails and have altered a few of the names to protect the innocent(me) but everything else hasn’t been edited in any way.

From: stubblestud@perfectlynormalrequests.com
To: Cynical C
Re: Chris… your 5 o’clock shadow…

Hi Chris, I like to collect pictures of men with
awesome 5 o’clock shadows. Do you have a photo you can
send me showing off your stubble?

Thank you,

Thanks Stubblestud but as much as I would like to explain to my wife and family someday why my 5 o’clock shadow is on some type of stubble fetish website, I think I am going to pass at this time. Not that there is anything wrong with that….

Continue reading “Mail Call”

67 Japanese Cities Firebombed in World War II

A list of Japanese cities and the percentage of the city destroyed by firebombing in WW2.

McNamara’s comment on the bombing was this: LeMay said that “If we’d lost the war, we’d all have been prosecuted as war criminals.” “And I think he’s right,” says McNamara. “He, and I’d say I, were behaving as war criminals.” . . . “LeMay recognized that what he was doing would be thought immoral if his side has lost. But what makes it immoral if you lose and not immoral if you win?”

While McNamara talks about the firebombing in the movie, there is a very fast sequence of frames in which the bombed Japanese cities are named, with a comparison of the size of the Japanese city to a U.S. equivalent, plus a percentage of the Japanese city destroyed. To get all this information, I had to advance the DVD frame-by-frame — otherwise the whole thing shoots by you in a blur. Below is the information.

Lucid Dreaming

A wikibook on lucid dreaming.

This book attempts to teach you the skills that can help you to have lucid dreams — dreams in which you know that you are dreaming. Lucid dreams have been scientifically proven to exist. Being aware that you are dreaming, and still remaining asleep, can give you the ability to control your dreams. Lucid dreaming truly can be a fantastic experience.

Gay and Lesbian Comic Book Characters

gaycomics.jpg

Last week I had a link to the religious affiliations of comic book characters. This week it is a list of gay/lesbian comic book characters. Who knows what next week will bring.

This section will be focusing on the more “well-known” gay and lesbian characters in comic books – mostly from mainstream publishers with a few standout characters from independents. While there are a gazillion queers in underground and/or self-published titles, they are a rare and unusual phenomena in mainstream comics – especially “superhero” ones. Self-published titles are aimed at generally older, more mature and more specific audiences – while mainstream comics, which are 95% superhero-related, are generally aimed at young, heterosexual boys. The fact that there are any gay characters in mainstream comics at all is quite surprising – and quite a treat, since they’re such a novelty.

(Thanks to Bibi from Bibi’s Box for the link)