I remember when I started having ads on my site, commenters would tell me that it was fine because they have adblock plus, completely oblivious, or just not giving a fuck, that I needed ads on my site because my server expenses were getting far more expensive than I could pocket for a hobby. Like ads or not, they make a lot of things on the internet free for our use. This whole idea that everything should be free without even having to look at an advertisement is silly and not based in reality:
Adblock Plus will now sell ads. Yes, you heard it right. Adblock Plus is launching an ad exchange service to replace the bad ads (which are too big, too ugly, or too intrusive) with good ads which are less annoying.
Eyeo has partnered with ad tech platform to create an automated ad marketplace. Publishers can sell ad space on their web pages and place code to put ads. The 80 percent of the revenue from these ads will go to publishers. Remaining 20% will be divided between various other parties involved with serving the ads. Adblock plus will receive 6% from serving ads.
The site activates your webcam automatically; when you click “start” you’re suddenly staring at another human on your screen and they’re staring back at you, at which point you can either choose to chat (via text or voice) or just click “next,” instantly calling up someone else. The result is surreal on many levels. Early ChatRoulette users traded anecdotes on comment boards with the eerie intensity of shipwreck survivors, both excited and freaked out by what they’d seen. There was a man who wore a deer head and opened every conversation with “What up DOE!?” A guy from Sweden was reportedly speed-drawing strangers’ portraits. Someone with a guitar was improvising songs for anyone who’d give him a topic. One man popped up on people’s screens in the act of fornicating with a head of lettuce. Others dressed like ninjas, tried to persuade women to expose themselves, and played spontaneous transcontinental games of Connect Four. Occasionally, people even made nonvirtual connections: One punk-music blogger met a group of people from Michigan who ended up driving eleven hours to crash at his house for a concert in New York. And then, of course, fairly often, there was this kind of thing: “I saw some hot chicks then all of a sudden there was a man with a glass in his butthole.” I sing the body electronic.
I think I’ll let braver souls venture forth on ChatRoulette.
I wouldn’t know a Kanye West song if he interrupted one to tell me that it was the best of all time but this meme is why I love the internet so much.
It is early days, admittedly, but as soon as you officially launch you open yourself up to analysis and ridicule. The complaints are valid, too; these results certainly donâ€™t seem to be on a par with Google, and for an underdog to succeed it needs to not only match, but surpass the market leader.
Some of the complaints are extremely serious â€“ with pornographic images popping up on search results, out of context, and even with the safe search feature turned on. If you canâ€™t trust the site for use at work, or by your kids, how much will it actually get used?
There are also worrying problems with Cuil as a business. It obviously doesnâ€™t have the same sort of cash behind it that Google does, but how long it will actually hang on to its meagre $25 million investment?
Sarah Carey, The Sunday Times columnist, also works for Cuil, and recently posted on her personal blog about how quickly the company is burning through this VC cash. The post has since been removed, but thanks to Googleâ€™s caching feature (not available on Cuil), the post can still be read here.
â€œI have a secret life. You may know me as a domesticated, rural housewife and while this is true, for the past year I have also tasted the life of an international software executive,â€ says Carey, before going on to describe day-to-day life at Cuil.
â€œLunch is ordered in every single day. Huge fridges burst with snacks and drinks. Bowls of strawberries and muffins lie around the rest area. The company pays for a personal trainer and gym membership for everyone. A doctor calls round each Friday, after the weekly barbeque, to see if everyoneâ€™s in good health. Employees drift in an out at times that suit themselves,â€ she continued, before temporarily expressing worry about the spending.
Never mind all that. A search for “Cynical C” doesn’t lead here nor does a search for “Cynical C Blog”. That’s not a cuil we can believe in.