Because Snapchat makes me feel a thousand years old. Still can’t figure out how to use it. I’m gonna go search for some avocado toast.
2nd best part about insomnia is getting to the office early and making short dramatic art films using a colleague's porcelain bear. pic.twitter.com/PAPKhQU72A
— Exhausted Cynic (@CynicalCBlog) August 8, 2018
Probably why it’s a good reason to keep this blog so I don’t terrorize my coworker’s chotchskies.
It’s very easy to quit something when you think nobody cares. A lot more difficult when you have so many people who show their appreciation and tell me the length of time they have dedicated to following along during the years.
So I have decided not to quit. I will keep this little hobby going. But I am going to try to change it up a bit. I think I will keep most political posts for Twitter. Trump is just plain exhausting. It’s almost impressive in a psychotic way.
I am going to try harder to make this blog a bit more entertaining and not just single links to news sources. Blogging may be sparse for the next few weeks though. August is not a productive month but I always feel rejuvenated in the Fall. Provided nuclear winter doesn’t come early this year.
Thank you to everyone who commented. Your comments do make a difference!
On y va!
First of all, I want to thank everyone who commented. It really means a lot to me.
I started this blog September 28, 2003. I’m about 2 months short of 15 years of blogging. If this blog was a person it would be covered in acne and a year away from driving. Looking back over the years, I’m trying to figure out how I’ve changed since I was bored enough to buy a url and try this new thing that people were doing by posting things online. I’m going to number how I’ve changed and what I’ve learned but they are in no particular order.
- I have moved twice.
- I have had two cats. I still miss Cynikitty very much.
- I didn’t even have a passport in 2003. Now I have been overseas quite a few times and never want to stop traveling.
- I used to think the United States was the best country in the world. Now I’m not even sure it’s the best country in North America.
- I moved in with my future wife 2 years after starting the blog and got married a year after that. And we’re still going strong.
- I went from agnosticism, to borderline-militant atheism, to atheist but I really don’t care what you believe as long as you aren’t hurting others.
- My initial point of view is usually wrong.
- No matter how many compliments you get, you will always focus on the one negative thing. And it will eat you alive if you don’t realize that is most likely the reaction they wanted in the first place.
- Do what you love is a nice sentiment and all but you still gotta eat.
- Always be honest with your readers.
- I have quit blogging 2 or 3 times. I should learn to just take an extended hiatus when burnout hits then killing it off. (See number 7)
- Just because there are two sides doesn’t mean they both have valid arguments.
- Don’t punch down. (ie criticisms of Islam are probably valid but in this current political environment when people want to lump an entire culture in with a the fundamentalists you really have to tread carefully to not fan the flames of hate.)
To be continued.
I gained and lost about 50lbs and have managed to keep it off. And nobody should be shamed for their weight so even though I’m find with the “fat acceptance” movement, I honestly feel a lot better without the extra weight.
- I probably wasn’t for gay marriage before 2003. (I don’t recall being anti-gay marriage either but I was probably in the not too comfortable area in my thinking with the whole thing.) Now I’m as pro-gay marriage as you can be. We need more happiness and love in this world.
- If people are annoying you online, block or ban them. Life isn’t worth putting up with jerks if you don’t have to.
- There are good and bad people of every religion including nonbelievers. Religion has nothing to do with morality.
I’m closing down the blog. Yes, again. But this time it really is goodbye. My hosting is paid up until the middle of August and then I’ll just close it down forever. Blogging was always a fun hobby but it has ceased to be enjoyable for some time now. I probably never should have restarted it after stopping the last time but old habits die hard.
You can still find me on Twitter, Instagram, and Goodreads, all of which I’m still fairly active on. I closed down Facebook some time ago because fuck Facebook. (Yes, I know Instagram is owned by Zuckerberg but I still enjoy looking at pretty pictures.)
Stay safe out there if I don’t see you on any of those mediums. And thank you for your funny and thoughtful comments. They kept me going more than you know.
I’ve been in a bit of a reading funk lately. I just haven’t been inspired with my reading list. In fact, my Goodreads want to read list (link on the right) is down to 8. Eight? In a way that makes me feel accomplished because at one point that was about a hundred. But on the other hand, I need to spruce it up with some titles.
So please, do use the comments to suggest some things that you’ve fallen in love with reading lately.
As for what I have enjoyed lately?
11/22/63 by Stephen King. I had read this when it came out and enjoyed it. I took a trip to Dallas back in April to visit family and we went to the Sixth Floor museum which put me in the mood to reread it. I loved it all over again. When King is on his game, he writes characters who you can hang with for as many pages as his mood suits. I tried watching the miniseries but it wasn’t the same.
Collusion: Secret Meetings, Dirty Money, and How Russia Helped Donald Trump Win by Luke Harding. Good background book on Trump’s history with Russia including members of Trump’s campaign. The thing that is just so crazy about Trump’s administration is not how stupid they are, but how transparent everything is. Trump’s true talent is being able to get away with everything despite doing everything in plain sight. I’m getting angry again just thinking about it.
Grant by Ron Chernow. Better than his bio on Hamilton except without the hip hop musical to back it up. Solid biography though.
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. This will make you think long after you’re done reading it. It caught me off guard how good this story resonates.
I’m fleeing the country. Only for a week though… unless I get granted asylum. I won’t be updating this blog but I will be on twitter and probably post a few pics to Instagram. Lola will keep you company until I’m back.
Stay safe everybody! If you need me, I’ll be unable to talk because this will be stuffed down my gullet:
Après les émotions #royalwedding la tarte chocolat coco ?? @karamel_paris_officiel signée du ??? @nicolashaelewyn Une ganache chocolat noir posée sur un caramel à la noix de coco et une pâte sablée au cacao . . #chocolat #chocolatetart #pastry #patisserie #tarteauchocolat #miam #yummy #nicolashaelewyn #karamel #caramel #coconutcaramel #instagood #instafood #paris7 #sweet #gouter #gourmandise #gateau #dessert