1. Aside from Jesus? 🙂 Smoking, was a 2 pack a day smoker for years plus a pipe and cigars, been almost 18 years since I completely gave up any form and no regrets. I’ve mostly quit soda but have the rare occasion where I have a diet coke or a sprite – usually when I am traveling and weak with hunger making poor decisions.

  2. Horses and horseback riding. I had had a few injuries but then saw too many friends and professionals get hurt. When the list of people who had broken necks went up to five, I made my exit.

  3. I gave up inactivity by picking up a few sports. Mostly I just wish I did this sooner and I kinda begrudge my parents for not even considering me for team sports.

  4. Thinking about it…I can’t think of anything I’ve given up forever…sucking my thumb, perhaps, but I’m not sure I can take credit for something I did when I was three…or whenever it was.

    I guess I believe in “all things in moderation” including giving things up.

  5. I guess I can’t say “forever”, but it’s been 8 months since I have eaten anything from “fast food” restaurants. Whereas for years, I would probably hit up a Wendy’s or McD’s because of convenience/time/ etc. at least two or three times a week, about eight months ago, I decided that I’d had enough of that and just started making food at home, with the exception of only eating at sit-down restaurants once a month or so. I’ve really enjoyed getting better at cooking and preparing for that… plus, holy hell the money I’ve saved! And the weight I’ve lost. And how much better I feel. It’s been great.

    1. I think the ONLY times I have been to a fast food place in the last 3 or 4 years are when I’ve been on a road trip and there was a limited choice of food. Maybe 3 times. To be honest, I still crave the McD food… NOt because it’s good, but because it’s addictive.

  6. Alcohol. My dad and three of my grandparents were alcoholics, so I guess it runs in my family. I’ve thought many times how my childhood would have been different if my Dad wasn’t drunk most of the time (I was in my teens before I found out that not everyone’s dad comes home from work and drinks until he passes out in front of the TV every night). When I was 13 my brother was killed in a drug/alcohol-related car accident and I just quit everything mind-altering. I’ve done a little on and off since then, but since my workplace started doing random drug tests, I quit the drugs for good, and rarely drink. The drug testing is a good backup reason when I get tempted to backslide, so I’m kind of glad they do it.

  7. Coffee with milk. Took me about 2 weeks to get used to drinking coffee black, and now if I have a latte it tastes like it’s made with full thick cream and I can’t stand it.

  8. It was Western. A few observations- there are a lot of poorly trained horses out there. And there are a lot of older, but new to the sport, riders. Mainly women who were horse crazy as kids and finally saved up enough to have one. So many people are insistent on wearing a cowboy hat instead of a helmet. I’ve seen horses fall on people, rear and flip, bolt, kick someone in the chest, kick someone in the face, drag a person. I’ve had friends thrown because their horse spooked at loose dogs/quads/wagons/bees/leaves/garbage truck/firecrackers/ghosts seen only by horse. Trail riding 95% of the time is just amazing, in the outdoors with friends, on a well trained horse. The other 5% involves an ambulance.

Comments are closed.