A Tourist Map of Occupied Paris, Issued to German Soldiers During WWII

From Slate:

This map, published in October 1940, was used by German troops on leave in occupied Paris. The city, under German control since June of that year, served as a relatively calm location for soldiers to take R&R. Distributed by the city’s military governor, the map directed visiting troops to take in the traditional sights of Paris: “Eiffelturm,” “Notre-Dame,” “Luxembourg Palast.”

Writing in their book A History of the Twentieth Century in 100 Maps, Tim Bryars and Tom Harper point out that “no sites associated by the occupation are marked” on the straightforward tourist map. Bryars and Harper see the Gothic script—a style of font associated with Germany—as “a sufficient statement of control.” One of the landmarks included on the map is a memorial to a past French military victory over Prussia, and Bryars and Harper suggest that troops whose fathers and grandfathers were veterans of that conflict might have visited the site in celebration: “The defeats of the past had been expunged by the decisive victory in the present.”

(via Kottke)