22 comments

1. I came here to say exactly this.

It is the most delicious pile of salt, grease, and starch with cheese. God bless you, Canada.

1. If I had never seen scrambled eggs before, I don’t think there would be any way I would be able to screw up the courage to try them.

2. Skin a baked sweet potato, then dump a cup of chili on top. Looks like dog food / vomit / shit, tastes like heaven.

3. Cow’s milk. Really, just like the scrambled eggs comment above if I hadn’t been drinking it my whole life there’s no way I’d start now. “Here, drink this white fluid I just squeezed from a cow’s utter.”

4. Raw oysters on the half shell. I grew up eating the bounty of the Gulf of Mexico, but inlanders think raw oysters are a burden to be swallowed whole. Hell no, chew them to release the delights of the sea.

I grew up eating coquinas and other clams raw right off the beach at San Luis pass.

5. Being French, I could go for the easy answer : snails. Of course, you really just taste the garlic butter, but I love it.

However, I am not sure I can say that food can be disgusted looking and tasteful at the same time. Either I already know the taste and I can’t dissociate it from the look, or I don’t but I have already tasted too many different types of food to judge.

So for me, the most disgusting food is more linked to its source (like brain for example which I only tried once but do not wish to taste again) but not it’s look.

6. I grew up in a Reform Jewish family, so we ate matzo brei during Passover. Looked disgusting, but can be good either savory or sweet.

7. Hummus made with pink beans. It looks like dried cat vomit.

Also – matzoh brei is so damn nasty and tastes as bad as it looks. GROSS. Most Passover foods are nasty as hell. It’s the reason I always hated the hell out of that holiday.

8. The burritos as BIG AS YOUR HEAD at Taco & Burrito Express next door to the Kingston Mines in Chicago. At 3 in the morning, after a night of live blues, these bad boys may not look like they’ll hold together, but they’re ALWAYS good. {Insert Homer Simpson drool here.}

9. Whole lobster.

Imagine how hungry was the first person who tried eating a giant water spider that could snip off his fingers.

10. Guacamole. Looks like it came out of a diaper, but tastes like butter.

Comments are closed.