Cardinal Dolan Transferred $57 Million To a Cemetery Fund to Shield It From Sexual Abuse Victims

From Slate:

According to documents released today, Cardinal Timothy Dolan, the archbishop of New York, moved nearly $57 million into a cemetery trust fund in 2007 specifically to shield it from lawsuits by victims of clergy sexual abuse. The New York Times has the scoop:

[T]he files released Monday contain a letter [Dolan] wrote to the Vatican in 2007, in which he explained that by transferring the assets, “I foresee an improved protection of these funds from any legal claim and liability.”

The Vatican moved swiftly to approve the request, the files show, even though it often took years to remove known abusers from the priesthood.

BURGLAR: “I Thought You Could Only Be Arrested for Burglary at Night”

From Clevescene.com:

A Willoughby man who believed he could only be charged with burglary if he committed the crime at night has pleaded guilty.

On June 26, James Blankenship, 22, pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of breaking and entering into his mother’s home against her will.

According to police, Blankenship’s mother found her son attempting to break into her home through a first floor window earlier this month.

The young man had not been welcome in his mother’s home for approximately three months, nor did he have any possessions on the premise, police said.

Upon being discovered by his mother, the accused fled the scene. A neighbor alerted the police that he had witnessed a man running behind a nearby home. Blankenship was discovered hiding in a crawl space not far from his mother’s house, police said.

At the time of the crime, the accused told officers he didn’t think he could be arrested for burglary because it was not nighttime.