666 on Tax Form Makes Man Quit Job to Save Soul

From The Tennessean:

A Clarksville man said that he quit his job last week in order to save his soul.

Walter Slonopas, 52, resigned as a maintenance worker at Contech Casting LLC in Clarksville after his W-2 tax form was stamped with the number 666.

The Bible calls 666 the “number of the beast,” and it’s often used as a symbol of the devil. Slonopas said that after getting the W-2, he could either go to work or go to hell.

“If you accept that number, you sell your soul to the devil,” he said.

Bob LaCourciere, vice president of sales and marketing for the Revstone Corp., which owns Contech Casting, said that Slonopas’ W-2 was labeled with 666 by the company that handles Contech’s payroll. It refers to the order in which the forms were mailed out, he said.

Comments

1. Leon Trollsky,

It would be cool if the owner of the Payroll company was named Nero.

Working in a grocery store, I don’t know how many times I’ve seen an order come out to $6.66, then the customer panic and add on a pack of gum. I even saw a cashier take a penny off an order because of the total (the customer hadn’t said anything about it). The weird thing is, she was Jewish, and the 666 thing is from the New Testament.

• Ninabi,

I bought some minor item at a discount store and the cashier freaked out at $6.66 as well. It was so entertaining we went back in to find other random items with the same price just to go through the line again to witness the panic over magical numbers.

3. Curious,

Didn’t they find out recently that 666 is a mistranslation? Isn’t it something like 696 actually?

4. Barbwire,

My cell phone number has three 6s in a row, but I’m not superstitious.

5. dude,

Good thing he had the foresight to quit his job.

Crisis averted!

6. Erich Schrempp,

666 N. Lake Shore Drive in Chicago was such a great, easy-to-remember address. Then they renovated the building and changed it to 680, so every office and business in the building had to change their stationery, etc. The building takes up the whole block, so they could have any (even) number they wanted. They denied any number-of-the-beast reason, but it was pretty obvious someone was going the timid route. I’m pretty sure there’s still a 13th floor, though.

• Mike K,

Those living in the south are familiar with Publix Supermarkets. They have over 1,000 stores, but there is no store #666. There’s a #665 and a #667, but they skipped over the number of the beast. I really can’t blame them though; if they hadn’t I can imagine how many people would refuse to work there, and once customers got wind of that number… hoo-boy!

7. Someguy,

Here’s a relevant clip. Stephen Fry quizzes the Q.I. panel about “the number of the beast”:

8. PeterW,

In 1979, Ronald Reagan actually had the street number of his Bel-Air home changed from 666 to something more godly. Of course, as one of the devil’s minions, he had to keep a low profile.

• damnedyankee,

Actual 80′s conspiracy theory: Each name in “Ronald Wilson Reagan” is made of six letters, ergo, Reagan is the Antichrist.

9. Rounhouse,

Kinda late to the party, but whatever.
    I was a metal head in HS, in a small town, so of course I was considered Satanic. When I registered my first car the girl behind the counter handed me my plates, but paused first. “Oh, you’re not religious are you?” she asked. I was confused, but then I saw the plates. 666. Plain as day. Did I keep the plates? You’re damn right I did! Still have one of them in a box somewhere!

10. WordyGrrl,

Back in my radio days, an idiot co-worker did an on-air rant about some news story in which a business was catching flack for having 666 in their phone number. “Are these people evil or what? Give me a call at (555)-K-O-N-O and let me know what you think!”

Apparently she’d never actually dialed the on-air phone number for the radio station, which was (555) 5-6-6-6.