Arkansas to Allow Concealed Guns in Churches

From CNN:

The Arkansas House of Representatives has overwhelmingly passed a measure that would allow concealed guns to be carried in churches and houses of worship, and the governor’s office says it plans to sign the bill.

The measure, which passed 85-8 on Monday, gives houses of worship the option of allowing concealed weapons.

Passed by the state Senate in an equally lopsided 28-4 vote last week, the bill states it is “immediately necessary for the preservation of the public peace, health, and safety” because “personal security is increasingly important.”

“A person should be allowed to carry a firearm in a church that permits the carrying of a firearm for personal security,” the bill reads.

Reminds me of the bible quote from Matthew 10:34, “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a glock.”

Comments

1. WordyGrrl,

“If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other. Because there’s nothing that stops a shooter like being mooned.”

2. Dale,

AIM-en.

3. ZZ,

Wait, this really is from a legit news?!?!?! I thought it was the Onion!

4. KilgoreTrout,

Why The Onion? A private business on private property should be given the right to allow its patrons to carry any legal item with them.

Now the law forbidding a private company from allowing its customers such options or a law requiring a private business to allow their customers to bring in guns would be a law worthy of The Onion

5. Danno,

“Pass the ammo”

6. Lurker111,

In tune with the theme of the site, and being cynical myself, I could say something like, “This is a problem that may bring along with it its own solution.”

7. PeterW,

I thought these people weren’t supposed to worship false idols.

8. DJRJ00,

Here’s hoping that some psycho brings a concealed weapon into a westboro baptist church (no, not really).

• Someguy,

They’re already full up with psychos. If something untoward with a gun was going to happen, it would have done so already. My guess is that the heads of the church aren’t nuts enough to let their flock anywhere near firearms if for no other reason to keep holes from being shot in the roof during passionate sermons.

9. Angry Sam,

I’m actually kind of surprised there was a ban in the first place.

10. Justin,

Were it not for the kids involved, I’d be totally behind this.

11. “A person should be allowed to carry a firearm in a church that permits the carrying of a firearm for personal security.”

Therefore:

“A person should not be allowed to carry a firearm in a church that does not permit the carrying of a firearm for personal security.”

If everybody else is armed, I’ll be wanting to go in in a tank.

12. Oh. And I’ll drape a few towels over the gun, so it’s concealed.

13. Someguy,

Are they going to call this the “If Only Doctor Tiller Had A Gun” act? I mean, sure he was shot in a Kansas church, but still…