Legislators Propose Forcing High School Students to Swear to Defend Constitution in Order to Graduate

From Phoenix New Times:

If a handful of Republican state legislators have their way, high school students in Arizona would not be allowed to graduate until taking an oath to defend the U.S. Constitution.

That’s House Bill 2467, sponsored by Republican state Representatives Bob Thorpe, Sonny Borrelli, Carl Seel, T.J. Shope, and Steve Smith.

“Before a pupil is allowed to graduate from a public high school in this state, the principal or head teacher of the school shall verify in writing that the pupil has recited the following oath:

“I, _________, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge these duties; so help me God.”

Comments

1. Arizona – More crazy that you ever thought possible.

2. FlamingAtheist,

The irony of them being forced to do this slaps the meaning right in the face. ” that I take this obligation freely”
    This is the oath you take as a military inductee or federal employee, they aren’t joining the military or starting a job as a federal worker, unless this makes them officially ‘Arizona Militia’.

Not to mention the alternate version for military/feds where you ‘Affirm’ rather than ‘Swear’ and drop the ‘so help me god’.

3. Venture Free,

From the party of small government.

4. Erich Schrempp,

…because an oath sworn by a bored teenager trying to be done with high school really means a lot…

• Angry Sam,

It couldn’t possibly mean any less than the one those legislators took.

5. ange,

arent they technically a minor and would need parental permission to do this?

6. S. Norman,

It’s important that this be done now. There really are no other issues going on right now that demand our attention.

7. Skip,

Sounds like they are working on getting the draft going again. I was in the Navy for 12 years and took that oath 3 times for each enlistment.

8. This is how bad it is here: Jan Brewer, our finger-waving governor who no longer holds press conferences because of the certainty that she will misstate well-known facts – that woman has become the Voice of Reason at the state capitol.

9. Leon Trollsky,

I smell a big payout for the first student who refuses to take the oath and doesn’t get their diploma with a couple of mean lawyers watching the proceedings.

10. PeterW,

Looks like patriotism is the last refuge of a scumbag. And what happens if a student goes on to join al-Qaeda? Do they revoke his diploma?

• smittypap,

Do you mean if he registers as a Democrat? Yes, they revoke his diploma right before they shoot him in “self-defense”.

11. Lurker111,

Are they importing water from Kansas?

12. Justin,

Doug Stanhope pointed out that forced advertising like this always betrays the lack of value of the product. He was talking about how kids are expected to say the pledge of allegiance, and he said something like, “If you’ve got a good enough product, they come around on their own. How many people here have taken drugs? Everyone. Did you have a good time? Yes. Ever seen a commercial for it?”

• LL,

Last time I watched a sporting event on TV I seem to recall several commercials for drugs. I think it was beer. I can’t wait until pot is legal so we can see the creative pot ads. I’m sure they will be coming.

13. Ninabi,

But I want to know….if you say the magic words do you get a gun along with the diploma?

I best shut up right now before one of the nitwits up in Phoenix latches on to this random thought and pronounces it dandy.

14. Hotpepperman,

This is one more reason why the Republican party will soon have “osaurus” after its name. There is a huge level of disconnect and a disturbing level of ‘we are your masters!’ about this.