Subway: ‘Footlong Not Intended to Be a Measurement of Length’

And a subway sub is not intended to be food:

While Subway acknowledged that the undersized bread “is not baked to our standards,” it goes on to claim that there really is no such thing as “undersized bread” because “footlong” is just a word.

“With regards to the size of the bread and calling it a footlong, ‘SUBWAY FOOTLONG’ is a registered trademark as a descriptive name for the sub sold in Subway® Restaurants and not intended to be a measurement of length.”

Comments

1. MacCrocodile,

Oh for god’s sake. Everybody simmer down. You’re being shorted an inch of bread? Here’s a thought: when you measure lumber to build your house, use a ruler and not a loaf of bread to ensure precise measurements.

2. landrew,

“$5 Footlong” is trademarked. Since the length is in question, how about the price?

3. Furnace,

There’s a penis joke in here, but I’m not interested enough to word it properly.

4. Supervis,

I’ve also come across footlong subs that are actually a bit longer then a foot. People are making an undue fuss…

• So you measure your sub each time you get one? This seems odd to me. I just leave my tape measure at home and eat the sub.

5. damnedyankee,

Look, it’s January, and it’s cold out. That’s all I’ve got to say.

6. arrow,

-The airport security is a pain in the ass, and it doesn’t work the way it was intended.
    -The big corpo’s are trying to limit the freedom of the web, to capitalize it into their pockets.
    -Manning is still in Jail.
    -Guantanamo still exist.
    -Irak.
    -China is overcoming USA…

I dont get why one inch of an overpriced piece of bread matters at all.

7. LL,

If it was short by 2 inches would that matter? What about 4? What if your foot long sub was only 2 inches? If they sell it as a foot long it should be an actual foot long. Sure it’s not the end of the world, or even at all important to me since I don’t eat there. but I do see an issue with deceptive advertising (assuming this wasn’t a one time error).

8. Erich Schrempp,

Now I suppose I’ll have to weigh my pound cake….

9. Circe,

Why is this news? My dealer’s been overpricing dime bags for years now.