Chow: How to Set a Fried Egg

Ummm, that looks burnt to me.

Comments

1. McGee,

“This is the egg you’re looking for.”

No. No, it’s not. I like my eggs to not be brown and black around the edges and on the bottom.

Or rather, I did when I actually ate eggs. Now it’s just good old egg substitute.

2. Crabs,

Excellent. Though I think I’ll continue cooking my eggs like someone who isn’t a dipshit.

• ange,

see thats the difference, Alton Brown makes you want to go home and make that damn egg. Chow makes you want to gag.

3. To me, that is the difference between “fried” and “over easy.”

To be honest, I heat up the pan on medium, splat butter in, drop the eggs in and cover it from the start. Set a timer between 2:30 and 3 minutes (depending on your stove) and you can do it perfectly, unmonitored. Also, no brown edge.

4. dfsf,

hot pan + oil, crack eggs & wait till egg edges are defined, then turn on to a low heat and leave alone. you get perfect, with no runny albumen on top.

the egg in the video is burnt.

surely that method it’s better to get the egg to a point where it’s almost doen, then put the lid on it.

• WordyGrrl,

Or you could just, ya know, be patient. Cook the egg on low heat then put the lid on and let the “ambient heat” cook it the rest of the way through.

5. Holy crap, that egg is burnt to hell. Am I the only person who flips her fried eggs? I just wait until they look somewhat solid and slide em over like they were pancakes, which gets rid of the “goo” on top. I prefer my yolks super runny and find that putting a lid on gives me firmer yolks than I like.

6. Rev. Snarfleez,

Well, the technique works… I used to for many years myself, actually. However, this girl DID burn her egg, so I wouldn’t take any cooking advice from her.

The way to use this tip that works:
    Don’t use it when your egg looks “perfect”. If it looks perfect, YOU’RE DONE COOKING. instead, before you’re done cooking, add just a little water to the pan and cover it. Let the steam cook the top of the egg. It comes out a little rubbery, to be honest, but hey, it’s better than slimy.

• Michael Brockman,

I do what’s called “blindfolding” the egg. Cook in oil ’till “just right”. Tilt the pan and spoon the hot oil over the top of the yolk. Nice runny yolk with no uncooked white.

7. gruggach,

I mix up the yolk and the white the instant it hits the pan. And then I flip it. I don’t like the yolk by itself and I certainly don’t burn it like she did. Ew. I’m retching just thinking of the smell of burnt eggs. Their ain’t a range hood strong enough outside Walter White’s lab to get rid of that foul stench.

8. Curious,

I like my eggs with a runny yolk, no slime on top and a browned bottom. She may have overdone the bottom a little but, in general, I think she nailed it.

9. Dave,

Here’s another tip: If your video demonstration goes wrong, redo it.

10. marvinj,

There’s no way that egg was only cooking for 10 seconds between putting the lid on and taking it off.

Unless she wa using a nuclear reactor to fry on

11. Giuliana,

I use this method with alterations that yield no burnt edges at all- only perfect fried eggs with runny yolks. Set heat at no more then medium, let non-stick pan warm. Spray with Pam, then add eggs. Cover immediately, and cook until whites are set. The steam trapped by the lid definitely helps cook them perfectly without disturbing the yolks.