Indian Religious Leader: Gangraped Girl Equally Responsible

From the Hindustan Times:

Asaram Bapu courted controversy after he said that the Delhi gangrape victim was equally responsible for the crime and the girl could have called her assailants brothers and begged them to stop.

Asaram’s remarks on the gangrape of the 23-year-old girl sparked condemnation across the political spectrum and from women’s bodies today with the BJP saying it was “regrettable, deeply disturbing and painful”.

Addressing his followers recently, Asaram said that when the girl encountered six drunk men “she should have taken God’s name and could have held the hand of one of the men and said I consider you as my brother and should have said to the other two ‘Brother I am helpless, you are my brother, my religious brother.’

She should have taken God’s name and held their hands and feet… then the misconduct wouldn’t have happened.”

He also went on to say, “Galti ek taraf se nahi hoti hai (mistake is not committed from one side).”

Comments

1. Michelle,

For F’s sake…

2. Tyr,

Eastern religions, so spiritual aren’t they ?

3. d,

She totes wanted to get disemboweled. And I’m sure calling a dude “brother” and holding his feet would totally stop a vicious and pre-meditated attack. I’m really thankful that, as a woman, I can feel safe existing in public because I now know a simple system for stopping attacks.

4. damnedyankee,

No matter where I look in the world, regardless of faith or nationality, there will always be a politician whose teeth I want to pick out of my knuckles.

• JeffD,

Well, damnedyankee, by that politicians own words, he will be held equally liable for having his teeth knocked out if he didn’t convince you he was your Brother.

• damnedyankee,

Whoops, religious leader, not politician. Apparently I’ve lived in America long enough to be unable to tell the difference.

5. Valeria,

What, her body didn’t just shut that whole thing down on its own?

6. dfsf,

you simply can’t argue with that logic..

7. arrow,

Religion… no matter where you are….is a f- piece of sh-t.

8. Justin,

Reminds me of Pervez Musharraf after Benazir Bhutto’s assassination: “For standing up outside the car, I think it was she to blame alone – nobody else.”

What kind of psychology would it take to heap blame on an innocent and recently murdered person? I think it helps distinguish between bad people and good people who commit bad acts. That kind of mindset points to “bad person.”