WTF of the Day

Comments

1. Nick E. P.,

If that’s not art, I don’t know what is. There will be a rush to buy this guy’s paintings before they are snatched up and deemed priceless by MoMa, the Met, etc.

2. rayceeya,

OH Japan. <3

Never stop being you.

3. danno,

I think i used to live underneath that guy at my last apartment. I didn’t know he was a painter, I figured chronic masterbater…

4. incredulous,

I was just saying to myself last week: “When is Japanese emo culture going to find its Bob Ross?”

5. What the Hallows,

The characters on the intro screen are Korean, and he is speaking Korean, not Japanese.

• rayceeya,

I’ll take your word for it.

I’ve seen this video posted a lot and I will endeavor to correct the misconception.

6. TDavis,

You really don’t want to see the video from his Brown period.

7. Kiwi Jono,

Well a lot of the great artists were supposedly somewhat (if not completely) crazy, so maybe it will work for this Korean (and yes it is definitely Korean subtitles so I presume he is Korean).

Sure made me LOL though!

8. Leon Trollsky,

Clearly a meditation on man’s inhumanity to man.

9. Dale,

Just glad he uses a large brush.

10. ange,

yellow is such a bright color, maybe he was trying to intimidate it into calming down.

11. Ninabi,

He sounds just like I did when confronted with having to repaint all the walls and ceilings of our last house.

12. Bacopa,

He says you’re supposed to scream like your arms are being ripped out. Let’s rip his arms out to see if that’s how he screams. Bet it isn’t.

13. outeast,

BTW, it is the video, not the screaming or the painting, that is the artwork (the video is Seoul-based artist Kim Beom’s work, but the ‘artist’ in the video is played by an actor).

Miss Cellania posted about it too, but linking to the Walker Art Center blog (screening the full half-hour (!) documentary), which notes that the video is ‘Characteristic of the Seoul-based artist Kim Beom’s humor.’

I know we have this working assumption that East Asians are all (a) Japanese, and (b) weird. But it only takes 10 seconds to do a quick-and-dirty factcheck via google before posting a prejudice-driven comment.

PS Incredulous may have booboo’d by assuming that weird=japanese, but the Bob Ross comparison is apposite since Beom specifically namechecks Ross as a source of – um – inspiration.

Regardless of anyone’s comments, that still easily qualifies for “WTF of the Day.” At in the Internet circles I know.

15. Cornjob,

I make those same sounds whenever Mrs. Cornjob asks me to touch up the paint around the house. ;)

16. Justin,