How It’s Made – Hot Dogs

Comments

I’ve always said that hot dogs are made of all the things they’re not allowed to put in other foods. I never wanted to be right.

• LL,

I was just glad not to see pigs’ snouts and eye balls in the mix of meat going into the grinder.

2. Hugh,

The Twinkee of meat!

3. MacCrocodile,

Whatever. All this tells me is that animal remainders are more delicious than I had previously known.

4. rayceeya,

While I love a good brat, or some nice chorizo, and I have a deep appreciation of cured meat in general, I’ve always hated hot dogs. Even when I was a kid.

They were always a bit too sweet and the texture was slimy to me. I only found out later when I was in college studying food science what the technical term for it was.

Mechanically Separated Meat.

Hot dogs, Spam, Pink Slime, it’s all the same thing. Ooey gooey animal by-product with the texture of tooth paste.

Hot dogs are a mockery of traditional sausages. Historically the humble sausage was a way of preserving meats for long periods of time using various herbs and spices (including thyme, sorry couldn’t resist), along with the addition of nitrates and in many cases fermentation by lactic acid producing bacteria.

Fun Fact: A lot of our favorite sausages are not only made of pork, but served raw. I.E. salami, pepperoni, chorizo.

My point is I’d rather eat traditionally prepared, cured, raw pork than some over engineered, over processed, and guaranteed to be safe pork “food” product.

• Bacopa,

You made an important point about thyme. Thyme contains large amounts of a powerful antibacterial phenol called thymol. That chemical is the bomb at killing bacteria and it is in many kinds of mouthwash. But heed the warnings. Too much thymol will make you crap your guts out in a day of agony.

• rayceeya,

When I was in college we repeated a classic experiment on bacteriocins produced by lactobacillius,and the antimicrobial effects of verious herbs and spices.

Only time in my life I ever worked with clostridium botulinum (the bacteria that causes botulism). No thyme on that one but garlic was especially effective. Along with the lactic acid bacteria the clostridium didn’t stand a chance.

Amazing to think that people figured this out hundreds of years before the invention of the microscope.

5. Carbs,

Something I’ve never quite understood is why I hate hotdogs/Frankfurters/Wieners so much. Nearly every sausage product on the planet is made from offal and whatnot which I can totally accept, being as offal meats are some of the most flavourful and nutritious animal components. But I could eat my entire bodyweight in Lincolnshire sausages or Bratwurst, but I can barely stand to consume a whole hotdog. Something about them is purely repellent and unpalatable and I don’t know what or why, given that they’re fundamentally similar to all other types of sausage.

• rayceeya,

Comparing hot dogs to real sausage is like comparing Twinkies to Crêpe Suzette.

We have a couple of artisanal sausage places here and there is no “offal” in them unless you want it. A couple of places will even do sausage recipes to order if you buy in bulk. You can get the brains and ground up kidneys if you want but I prefer the pork belly myself.

Sorry, I tend to geek out on preserved foods and cured meats a lot.

• Carbs,

I definitely do as well, but don’t tend to view the “unsavoury” parts as actually unsavoury. If it’s in an artisanal sausage that works well then I couldn’t give less of a poop: herbs and hearts and kidneys and whatever else, I tend not to view offal as “waste” unless it actually is waste that’s just being stuffed in to lower costs.

But Frankfurters… it’s not even a psychological thing. It’s simply the taste. Foul, vile experience, even if the constituent parts are exactly the same. Maybe it’s the ground product in a casing vs. the slurry product cooked into a semi-solid form, or something? In any case, it’s a weird double standard but not one I’m ashamed of.

6. FlamingAtheist,

“When I grow up I’m going to Bovine University”

/Obligatory Ralph Wiggum quote

7. Justin,

From :22 to ;27 I learned something about my sexuality

8. ange,

you should tastefully repost this on the evening before July 4th.

9. jen,

blech! I think the phrase “meat batter” is one I would be happy never to hear again. I rarely eat meat, but when it comes to sausage, I like the kind where you can tell it came from real meats, no batter, no mcnuggets.

10. marvinj,

300,000 an hour. Sweet lord.

11. Cornjob,

Hotdogs are made out of lips and assholes!