Question of the Day

Did you vote? Have any interesting experiences? Long lines?

I voted around noon. Took me all of 5 minutes. Not even a line where I am.

Comments

1. FlamingAtheist,

Oregon is all mail-in voting so I was able to vote two weeks ago. Unfortunately it doesn’t get rid of the political ads/mailers. And there has been a case of ballot tampering by an election official in one of the counties here.

And I don’t get an ‘I Voted!’ sticker so you just have to provide your own sticker. That explains why I have ‘Chiquita’ on my lapel.

• MacCrocodile,

Washington, here, also voted ages ago. No sticker.

Instead, I get to just sit and fret. But polls look good for most of the things I care about.

• I don’t get an I Voted sticker either. But I had no line so I’m STFUping.

• WordyGrrl,

No sticker? How sad! I distinctly remember an “I voted” sticker being included with my mail-in ballot for 2008 when I was in Everett, WA.

Voted by mail here in Texas, and no sticker either. But race was pretty tight here, with 51% of the vote going to Obama versus 49 for Ronmey [source: http://www.woai.com/content/electionresults/default.aspx ]
        However, the Republicans still won via down-ticket offices by just enough of a margin that Texas stayed red.

Seriously, Texas dems. Get out the vote. You’re closer than you think to turning Texas purple.

2. jessieomc,

I took the early vote option for the first time. Quick and easy.

Looks like we are going to have another Bush Re-Count fiasco on our hands though. The day is barely half over and there are already cries of fraud, malfunctioning machines and scandal.

Just when you thought you were rid of those terrible political ads, BAM! another month or 2 of re-counts!

• Which state?

• Jessieomc,

Oh I am in Ga, but I’m talking about the vid of the faulty touch screen in Pa and te cluster fuck that is Florida.

Hope things go quick and easy so we can put this election an its shitty campaign ads behind us

3. TDavis,

I walked to my polling place at 9:30 this morning and the only reason it took me more than five minutes in line was due to a number of people ahead of me who weren’t sure they were at the right place.

4. Dale,

I’m in N.C. and will be voting after I leave work. My polling place is right across the street from my house, so I’ll just walk over. I did the early vote in ’08, but I really enjoy going to vote on election day and seeing my neighbors.

It was thrilling to see N.C. go blue in 2008, but I’m not sure it will happen this time around.

• I actually kind of like going to the polling place also. Granted, I have never had a line longer than a few minutes.

• FlamingAtheist,

Where I lived in California my polling place was in my neighbor’s garage, pretty cool to just walk over to her house to vote!

5. Marlea,

Indiana does have early voting, but I’m kind of a nerd, ok not kind of I am, and I like to go to the polling place on election day to vote. And also observe. I went right at 6 am when they opened. 2 surprising things: 1. It opened on time (it is usually late) and 2. Line was out the door and into the parking lot. It was 29 degrees and I waited outside about 25 mins inside about 10 and I loved every damn second of it :) No, I did not vote for Mourdock.

• Marlea,

For what it’s worth, at one point I hesitated, snickered and almost wrote in Cynikitty

6. Danno,

I voted at 8:30 this morning in California. Took all of 5 minutes. I never vote by mail because I like doing the actual “punching” of the candidates/issues. I add a little “take that” under my breath with each punch.

Good for those who volunteer their time to man the polls, but wow – what a mixed bag of people.

7. McGee,

No lines for me this morning. Alas, no sticker. I think my polling place is too hoity-toity for that.

8. Jeff Akston,

I showed up at about 8:30 AM and left around 10AM. It was in the upper east side of Manhattan.

Weird things:

The polling location was in a mormon temple. No Romney signage or pictures, or anything even remotely biasing (some Jesus paintings – but all the folks were dressed in standard biblical garb, it didn’t look like he was hanging out in America)….anyway

A lot of people took their kids. Now maybe they were taking their kids because they couldn’t get anyone else to watch them, which is totally defensible. But at least one of them seemed to take the kid to show them the democratic process. None of the kids wanted to be there. They hated it. They cried. They squirmed. They annoyed everyone. Poor kids. Having to sit in the line for over an hour without something cool like a Disney ride to look forward to. Please do not take your kids to the polls.

The process is really archaic. I needed to fill in a paper ballot with pen, and then they scanned it.

9. d,

I’m in Milwaukee, and I waited about 10 minutes. The new voter registration line was pretty long, so I would imagine that people registering at the polls had a 30+ minute wait.

10. Merinda,

I’m in Texas and it took me maybe half an hour. I feel like mine is more of a protest vote, but at least I counteracted my husbands stupid vote.

11. DJ,

I’m in Omaha, Nebraska. I was in line for about an hour.

I voted. No line at all. Even though I live in a private neighborhood, the rec center is used as a public polling station for my precinct. I guess no one outside of the neighborhood knows about it and just waits in line at the library downtown.

13. Barbwire,

I walked to the polls about 8 AM. Only two ahead of me, but lots of people there. My polling location services at least 3 precincts. I love to go to the polls, celebrate my citizenship, and get my sticker.

14. Jocelyn,

I worked has a Register Inspector at a Titusville, FL precinct this year. There was a line first thing in the morning, but after that, it wasn’t too long a wait. The wait time at other precincts around the county, however, were at least an hour, and I heard Orlando wait times were up to 2 hours. I was expecting nothing but cranky voters, but most everyone was plesant.

15. mrclam,

I just voted. One person was ahead of me in line, so my wait was perhaps 20 seconds. I like my polling place; it’s about a block away in the local firehouse. I got TWO stickers!

16. Kodie,

Going over to vote at around 7:30am, I was home by 8:30am and I got a sticker. Last time I voted in another state I think I had seen 10 people. This morning I might have been behind about 100 people of 4 districts in one polling place, seemed a little chaotic to me. I didn’t see any fights break out over where the line really ends, but that’s why I went early in the day.

17. Ninabi,

We voted by mail early. Stayed up late to watch the results.

Happy. Relieved.

18. ange,

I was at the poll site at 7am yesterday to vote (upper NYC area). Lately I’ve been getting up super early because the subways are still jacked up. No line, really pushy people running the whole thing as usual. The scantron thing sucks but Im glad we dont have touch screens.

19. I got in line at about 10AM at the Catholic Church (with their annual hillside full of crosses to represent x number of abortions) and waited for about 45 minutes because everyone in front of me was at least 90 years old and could barely see or walk. They brought a second voting booth in while I was there, but it took a half-hour to set it up. Meanwhile, the smell of delicious soup tortured everyone in line. After voting, and by then very hungry, everyone filed into the kitchen one by one to find that a bowl of soup was $1.50 and coffee was extra.

My 15-year-old followed me through every step and watched me vote. She’s done that several times since she was a toddler. Now she’s savvy enough to ague politics with her classmates and completely baffle them with facts.

20. senorglory,

I didn’t vote, because I was too lazy.

21. Piri,

I voted after work Tuesday in Orlando. Afew minutes after I took my ballot I heard a woman say she had been given one in Spanish. I looked down and mine was in Spanish too! It wasn’t simple to get it switched out either. I had to show my ID again and they had to fill out paper work and put my unwanted ballot in a special envelope I initialed. Weird.
    Orlando’s other county has ballots with both languages on the same page.

22. Michelle,

In and out quickly. Felt very happy as my daughter voted for the first time. We have to sign a big book with a copy of our signature, and it was wonderful to see my husband and two kids signatures next to mine!