I Caved

I finally bought an ebook. In my defense, it is DRM free. (Well, now it is.)

Comments

1. Cornjob,

Over to the Dark Side Chris has gone. Daleks we must call to exterminate. ;)

2. Furio,

Curious as to which model of the hardware you own. The Fire is a tablet and all that, but the Kindle Touch 3G to me is the most appealing with it’s e-ink and web browsing capability.

Good deal. I figured you’d wait a few months for a tablet with Microsoft’s nifty new OS that looks so appealing.

In case you’re not aware, if you have an Amazon Prime subscription you have access to their “virtual library”; borrow e-books back and forth, just like its terrestrial equivalent (movies too, but the selection sucks). I don’t have a membership myself, but I know someone that does and she won’t shut up about it.

• I think you can only use Kindle devices though for the Amazon Prime book loan. I don’t think you can just use an iPad app. Maybe someone will correct me.

• Mike K,

Come to think of it, you’re probably right. If it was available to simple app owners, Amazon would be advertising it every time you open the app.

• J,

am i the only one who finds the whole concept of ‘borrowing’ a computer file utterly bizarre? that is to say, you are not taking possession of anything, but rather making a copy, of which there can be an infinite number at zero cost.

• Mike K,

That would basically be giving e-books away. For every copy that they loan out, the author (and publisher, etc.) gets a royalty from Amazon. If you like the book enough to check it out a second time, the author gets a second royalty payment. If the customer just kept it, there would be no second royalty payment. Also, if they allowed users to download the e-book and just keep it, no one would ever have to buy a copy if they liked it enough to own one.

It’s like music piracy. When people download/share music, even though it’s just a copy of the original, it’s still stealing because that’s a copy that would have otherwise been purchased.

• J,

yeah, i get the economics of it, just saying that it’s a somewhat odd concept.

as to the piracy thing, i’m gonna have to disagree with you on that. for one thing, not everyone who downloads something would have or could have gotten it otherwise. i suppose the real question is about whether or not you think it’s immoral to benefit from something without compensating anyone for it, regardless of whether it cost them anything.

4. J,

while i understand the value of printed books as a means of information storage (both practical and sentimental), they really are an obsolete method for distribution. personally, i’m looking forward to the rise of independent authors once the publishing industry which is dependent on that distribution model finally dies.

5. ErgTerana,

And here I am, buying printed books as fast as I can before they’re all gone.

I’ve had an e-reader for about 8-10 years now (on a palm) which I’ve found great for travel when I don’t want to haul a pile of books.

I was thinking about upgrading, and probably will.

BUT, ever since you all talked about how the books can be sucked back and replaced with “newly edited” versions, I’ve been making sure I’ve all my favorites in nice, printed copies.

I’m almost too late– Today I discovered, much to my chagrin, that my old Bradbury copies have disappeared (I loan, and trust), and so went to re-order today. I could not find a reasonably-priced hard-bound or paperback copy of Martian Chronicles that had no illustrations. Argh.

6. ErgTerana,

Oh yeah, one other thing. When my Palm dies, I’ll have to repurchase all those books I own. Double argh.

• Kevin,

No you won’t. Like you, I started collecting e-books for my Palm III. I upgraded to a Kindle 1st gen a few years ago and now use a Nook Tablet. I use Calibre, a fantastic piece of software, to manage my e-library and it does a nice job of converting formats on the fly to whichever reader I’m using.

7. ErgTerana,

Update. It looks like there are printed Wiki books out there. I’ll let you know when I get my order.