Santorum Gets Frothy With NY Times Reporter

Comments

1. Wow, that’s one sane and balanced individual there. I’m looking forward to the Santorum + Gingrich super ticket!

Good for him! I wish more public figures would call out the media for distorting the truth just to make a good headline. It doesn’t matter whether I like a candidate or or not, I want to know the facts, good or bad, not what makes good water cooler gossip. The news is so one-sided and full of propaganda anymore it’s no wonder these idiots keep getting elected – no one knows what they’re really about until they get into office and start making changes.

• Mike,

I agree. . . Except that the reporter was 100% correct in what he said and only repeated verbatim what Rick Frothy had just said!

• Mike K,

Yes, you’re correct, that is what he said word for word, but it was a single sentence from several paragraphs. I’m sure any of us, when giving an opinion on something, could be misunderstood by way of an extricated sentence. If that reporter honestly didn’t know the context of Santorum’s original comment then he’s a very poor reporter.

• incredulous,

@Mike K – True, context is everything. But Frothy’s rhetoric has been hyperbolic in every context in which he has presented it. The reporter’s question wasn’t the most sound, and may have even been a little baiting — but this dude is running for the office of the mother-loving POTUS. He needs to learn how to respond to adverse questions with an ounce of grace and backbone. Instead, he gets his knickers in a wad and throws a tantrum and publicly utters a word for which he’ll have to give 3 Hail Marys and 3 Our Fathers before church on Sunday.

• Paulo,

@incredulous It is interesting to me seeing somebody using Santorum’s attitude in this video as a case against him, since I believe (like MikeK must have believed) that he was right, for maybe the first time in his political life. I see this as a case where a militant reporter ends up helping his opponent, thanks to poor use of journalistic credentials. Don’t mind me, I despise Santorom; but I kinda sympathize with Democrats for Santorum, so…

• Mike K,

Incredulous: I agree, he spazzed out when he shouldn’t have (which is never, for someone running for office). Imagine him doing that at some summit meeting with foreign diplomats. If he had handled that calmly, yet firmly, it would have come off so much better.

• Rev. Snarfleez,

I hate that I’m aligning myself with Santorum on this one, but he’s actually right. The actual quote spoken by Sanorum was, “He is the worst republican in the country to run against Obama“. The reporter was, in fact, trying to spin it, and Santorum rightly called him out on it.

• Rev. Snarfleez,

Also, my favorite newscaster, Jon Stewart** covered it best.

** Yeah, I know, he’s a comedian. But he’s still a more reputable and reliable source than anyone at Fox.

3. pvc,

Rick’s a rank amateur. Here’s how the professionals do it.

4. Erich Schrempp,

Speaking as the last person on earth who would rally to Santorum’s side, if he was specifically referring to the health care law that Mittens helped draft as making him “the worst Republican candidate to go up against Obama” and his remark was reported as calling Romney “the worst Republican candidate” without the context, I say, well, the guy has a point. I’d be pissed too. I also have to admit that the expletive made him a lot more like a human being than all the warm fuzzy sweater vests in the world. He should swear more often.

5. Angry Sam,

He must REALLY get mad when they confront him with things he actually said.

6. Dave,

Ima write the FCC. How can they let this guys say such disgusting things? It fucks up my children’s sense of values.

Also, why doesn’t Rick’s last name get bleeped out?

7. Zia Disi,

Good on him.
    Prolly the only time you’ll hear me support that a-hole.

The news we depend on rarely gets it right. It’s a disgrace.

8. Sebastien,

It’s sad to see so many people downvote the comments that criticize the reporter for at best doing a sloppy job. Report the facts, and we’ll make up our minds, thanks. You’d think the people that read this blog would appreciate the fact that we expect intellectual honesty from our news providers.

For fuck’s sake, the truth is the truth.

9. DJ,

Even if he where to call Mitt Romney “the worst republican candidate to go against Obama” and leave it at that, it would be far less controversial than a lot of the other crap that spews from his rancid maw. Hell, his outburst was more exciting than the alleged statement.

10. So Y was telepathy exchanged ignored as communication ? Americans are too excitable as “sender and receuver” in ESP? Isabel

11. Oh dear…an OOPS, 4 US <*///–