Romney: ‘I’m Not Concerned With The Very Poor’

Comments

1. d,

Beyond my problems with what he actually means, I’m shocked that Romnetron’s handlers haven’t figured out how to express that exact sentiment (with conservative dog whistles in place), without pissing off everyone with a beating heart.
    Example: “My focus is on the middle class- it’s been dwindling for years. Hardworking, tax-paying, law-abiding citizens are seeing their right rewards vanish, and I see it as my job to focus my energy on that part of our society.”
    I mean, I’m glad that he’s dumb enough to say this kind of thing, but I’m shocked that he’s dumb enough to not employ people to stop him from saying this kind of thing.

• Bacopa,

Or he could have worded similar to the way Elizabeth Warren worded it, something like “The poor have no chance if there is not a thriving middle class for them to move into.”

Maybe Warren expressed the idea so much more simply because she actually comprehends that there is a problem since she actually gives a crap.

2. ange,

His focus will be on all Americans if he gets into office, he needs to fucking wake up and realize that. But I kinda hope he keeps tripping down this big hill he’s trying to climb.

3. steve,

How is it that he has to hear from the Democratic party concerning the plight of the poor. He insinuates that Republicans aren’t willing or capable of this consideration, or that it is the responsibility of the Democratic party.

He is going to take the nomination, then start talking. Four more years is in the bag.

4. Cornjob,

Stay classy, Mittens.

5. magpie,

As long as he keeps hating non-millionares and minorities, he will go far in America.

6. dang,

“Are there no prisons?” asked Scrooge.

“Plenty of prisons,” said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

“And the Union workhouses?” demanded Scrooge. “Are they still in operation?”

“They are. Still,” returned the gentleman, “I wish I could say they were not.”

“The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?” said Scrooge.

“Both very busy, sir.”

“Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course,” said Scrooge. “I’m very glad to hear it.”

7. tim,

Oh, Soledad. I’m still bitter Princess Di’s death brought an end to “The Site” — http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Site

8. Dean Booth,

I guess this settles the question of whether Mormons are real Christians.

9. Stephen,

Seriously America, where do you find these guys?

10. apachesux,

If I remember correctly…it was the church that was supposed to take care of the poor not the state.
    Reagan dismantled much of the safety net the poor had. I can’t remember Reagan being concerned about the poor, only that the welfare queens were a nuisance. Nevermind the corporate kings and queens which everyone seems to bow down to in a moments notice. As if Donald Trump’s endorsement is more than one vote.
    The way I see this whole election process is that Romney was beaten by McCain in 08…Obama beat McCain so what chance does another Romney have? Did something change drastically in the last four years? Did he move some offshore accounts or something.
    Please keep me advised.