Rick Santorum Looks on the Bright Side of Rape

Santorum spews out some froth:

SANTORUM: Well, you can make the argument that if she doesn’t have this baby, if she kills her child, that that, too, could ruin her life. And this is not an easy choice. I understand that. As horrible as the way that that son or daughter and son was created, it still is her child. And whether she has that child or doesn’t, it will always be her child. And she will always know that. And so to embrace her and to love her and to support her and get her through this very difficult time, I’ve always, you know, I believe and I think the right approach is to accept this horribly created — in the sense of rape — but nevertheless a gift in a very broken way, the gift of human life, and accept what God has given to you. As you know, we have to, in lots of different aspects of our life. We have horrible things happen. I can’t think of anything more horrible. But, nevertheless, we have to make the best out of a bad situation.

Comments

1. Dale,

It’s god’s gift, not a choice.

• Dale,

Without being able to hear the sarcasm in my voice as I typed the above comment, I can see how it would come across as stupid and offensive.

Trust me, though, there was a LOT of sarcasm.

2. Cornjob,

Stay classy, Frothy. Yikes!

3. incredulous,

It’s like Republican hopeful Clayton Williams said during the 1990 Texas gubernatorial campaign against Ann Richards: Rape is like bad weather. “If it’s inevitable, just relax and enjoy it.”

Williams didn’t win either.

4. d,

I suppose the Rick Santorum has simply lived a life that is comfortable enough that he has never had to consider what it would be like to have to face an unwanted pregnancy.
    Let’s start by remembering that a pregnancy that results from rape is the continuation of the hijacking of a woman’s body. It started when someone declared that her will was invalid, and proceeded to force his on hers. Now, Rick wants to continue that hijacking by telling her that she needs to view the resulting fetus as a gift? That, even if she doesn’t want a baby, she needs to recognize her parental obligation? What started as a temporary assault grows into a burden that she did not want that will overtake the rest of her life.

What if she lives in a place that discourages women of even meager means from giving up her baby? I live in a fairly conservative part of the country and I have a fairly conservative social circle. If I did become pregnant, I certainly have the ability to care for a child- it would be impossible for me to justify giving the baby up (either by virtue of social pressure or guilt). I would ask him to consider the hardship involved with being a single pregnant woman.

I would ask him how he planned to support me when I had to take the unpaid maternity leave that my workplace offers.

I would ask him why he thinks that one man’s refusal to acknowledge my rights to my body and life should mean that he permanently able to refuse to acknowledge my rights to my own body.

5. ange,

If god gives the gift of rape then I’m a staunch athiest.

6. Justin,

I think a lot of the trouble starts when conservatives use the word “child” when they really mean “blastocyst.”

7. Frankly,

I sincerely wish Ol Frothy could experience this blessing for himself. While it wouldn’t lead to a child it would be interesting to see how he would accept the experience.

8. j harazin,

“What god has given to you”

Christ, what an asshole.

9. Michelle,

…he starts to say “It’s not a religious thing…” then gets cut off…YES my friend it is a religious thing…keep your hands out of my uterus!

10. vegastar7,

To be the lone dissenting voice here, but I don’t get what’s so bad about this passage. Not all women who become pregnant through rape decide to get abortions. Certainly there has to be mothers out there who love their children despite the way they were conceived.

• Unless you believe that abortion should be illegal for rape victims, and that they should be happy about that, I don’t understand how you could defend this quote.

• Stephen,

cos God said… well Rick said that God said. We wouldn’t want the second coming aborted by accident now would we. It could come in the form of forced rape spawn.

Absolutely monstrous comment.

• outeast,

Santorum’s position (or something like it) is logically consistent – even unavoidable – if one accepts the premises that (i) life comes fom God and (II) life is therefore sacred.

It would be more intellectually dishonest to hold the two premises above and not defend some such Santorumesque, ‘tough shit, doll’ conclusion (though it’s only in this narrow context that I’m imputing intellectual honestly to the Frothster).

In any case, is saying that life born of rape is sacred any more offensive than saying, oh, I don’t know, that we’re all damned for eternity from conception and can find salvation only through the worship of a Palestinian zombie?

• d,

This is actually a reply to outeast, but [s]he is too far down in the thread for me to reply directly.

I agree that Santorum would be guilty of intellectual dishonesty, or at least cognitive dissonance if he held the two stated premises to be true and didn’t come to the conclusion that he did.

What boggles my mind is that he offers absolutely no doctrinal follow up for how to help the raped woman. It’s all about biblical ideas up to the point where the woman has to shoulder the burden.

If he took the bible and god seriously, he’d be adopting all those unwanted kids, selling all of his shit to care for the rape victims and their offspring, and lobbying the hell out of congress to make sure that the minute a woman discovered that she was pregnant via rape, that social services would swoop in to cover her every expense.

Be he doesn’t do that, does he. Nope, he uses the bible to cover up the fact that he’s got an anti-woman agenda, and genuinely gives 0 shits about the welfare of people.

I guarandamntee you that if we had a policy that any woman who is forced to carry the product of rape to term was automatically granted a lump sum of 18 years of $500,000 to help raise the child, there would be a lot fewer anti-choicers. Add in free education for the mother, free housing, and free daycare, and free therapy (since the cost of raising a child isn’t just financial) and it becomes even less appealing.
        I picked that figure based on a back-of-the-envelope calculation of the cost of raising a kid to adulthood.

• Nowax,

Let me tell you, I know of someone very close to me that was an unwanted pregnancy, who was conceived in the days before birth control. Her life has been horrible. She has a lot of issues because her mother (and father) told her through-out her childhood that she was “unwanted”. Her mother told her she tried to abort her but that it “didn’t take”. (And she told this to her when she was a young child!) Her entire family ended up treating her like the family scapegoat, even though she effectively raised herself from an early child because her parents and siblings neglected her. To say that she’s “damaged” is an understatement. She has very little contact with her family, and even though she managed to be a successful person, her family treats her like a failure. It is really sad. This person was conceived in a consensual relationship. I can only imagine how a child of a woman FORCED to bring her rapist’s child into the world would be treated. And let’s not forget that even if abortion is illegal, women will subject themselves to illegal abortions which often lead to complications and death. Outlawing abortion is barbaric.

• Leia Peison,

wow thats really sad. does she have kids now? has she gotten therapy? i hope she is alright

• d,

I’m sure there are mothers out there who love their children despite how they were conceived. That’s not the point. The point is that Santorum thinks that women should fork over their lives and will to their rapists, and then be happy about it.

The problem here is that it’s really easy to look at the short-term implications of an unwanted pregnancy and kind of dismiss them. Experiencing the shame of judgement that comes from others when they don’t (or even do) know why you are pregnant? That’s not that big of a deal. Find that having to take maternity leave (which is often unpaid), or even just the time off necessary for doctor appointments is a financial hardship? Whatever, budget better! Having a hard time emotionally dealing with what you consider to be a parasite slowly destroying your life and body? Stop being an emotional bitch!

None of them are talking about the long term implications. No one is talking about the difficulty these women face in finding partners- this means that they will likely have to support these kids on their own. Beyond the emotional stress, let’s just consider the financial stress. Let’s talk about how these women face reduced chances of completing education or financially getting ahead. There’s shame, guilt, strife, grief and poverty all over that road. How do you look at that with glee? Her rapist hasn’t just raped her in that moment, his assault continues over the rest of her life.

Nowax suggested that unwilling mothers risk becoming bad mothers, and that’s a strong possibility. I’m not sure how much more prevalent that would be than the standard population, but I doubt any woman who was raped and then forced to at least carry the fetus to term and deliver it wouldn’t be even a little resentful.

Rick’s suggesting that women stop having control over their lives and futures and react with happiness. “See, now you are alone, poor, not likely to continue education, and a pariah; are you happy now?” Children are a source of joy and comfort for those who want and anticipate them, but it’s immature to assume that one person’s joy is indicative of how everyone else will respond.

11. Dave,

I don’t often go personal on political opinions. But I can’t help it with this crop of candidates for the GOP. Gingrich is a heaping pile of shit. Santorum is a just a piece of shit. Romney is a pathetic coward. And Paul is a delusional nut.

And those are just the ones left. Perry was a moron. Cain was an unqualified, misogynist asshole. And Bachman was just a plain old nut. I don’t like Ronald Reagan. But these people make him look like FDR.

• d,

If I were a republican, I would be embarrassed, and probably for more reasons than just the candidates. Of course, there are republicans saying that about whatever the hell I am as I type.

12. Rickyeagan,

I made a deal with my girlfriend that I would try to limit my use of the fun word this evening. Read this, completely blew it.