Paypal Has Buyer Destroy Violin to Get Refund

Or Today in WTF?

Comments

1. MacCrocodile,

Between this and the Regretsy fiasco, it looks like Paypal is setting themselves up to be the next great supervillain. When they start work on death rays and robotic suits, someone let me know.

2. LL,

I just sold a digital camera through ebay. PayPal is holding my money until the seller indicates they got the camera. This is not how it used to work, and I don’t recall agreeing to the changes. I’m sure I clicked agree, but I imagine the changes were buried in the terms.

This, combined with the ever increasing fees, has me not wanting to deal with PayPal or Ebay as a seller.

• FlamingAtheist,

Just sold my old iPhones on eBay and noticed that too, pissed me off as that was extra cash for Xmas. Makes me not want to sell anything else with them.

3. Rampage_Rick,

And this is why I’m terrified of becoming an eBay seller. I’ve bought hundreds of items on eBay and the only time I got the shaft from Paypal was when i didn’t receive a Toughbook I bought. Because the dispute period stretched to almost 2 months, I didn’t get a “normal” refund that effectively reversed out the currency exchange. Instead they used the then-current exchange rate, and the Canadian dollar had climbed so much that I basically ate $200 difference.

For sellers, it seems like Paypal horror stories are far more prevalent, and eBay TOS basically says you must accept Paypal for all but a handful of categories. Up here in Canada we have this magical thing called Interac e-Transfer which allows you to securely send money via email or SMS to anybody else in Canada using the banks’ debit network. I think it costs me 25 cents per send, and nothing to receive.

• Rampage_Rick,

I was just reflecting on this past year when the vampire guy foreclosed on his local Wells Fargo office.

While reading up on this violin story, someone else posted (paraphrasing) that since the buyer paid money to Paypal, who in turn failed to forward the money to the seller, the seller’s recourse is against Paypal. Imagine if an individual won a judgment against Paypal which wasn’t paid. Wouldn’t it be epic to walk into their data center in Utah with some bailiffs? “I’m selling this shit on eBay!”

4. Fink,

Do adoption agencies accept PayPal?

5. Stephen,

Sent the link to a friend who plays violin and hates working at paypal. Just reminded me of him, I’m sure there’s a joke in it somewhere

6. DJ,

My buddy has been a fraud agent for paypal for about ten years, I asked him about this. Apparently the violin would have to have been identified as a fraud by an appraiser. After it has been confirmed as a fake it would be a felony to ship it, therefore to ask the customer to ship the item would be to ask them to commit a felony.

• Angry Sam,

If that’s true, then this is either a huge mistake, or we’re not be getting the full story about the violin’s authenticity. I hope the seller has some way to find restitution.

7. Brian,

This has been the “new” policy for ebay and PayPal where the seller is always the loser. I have had a few bad eggs just declare something is wrong with an item and the cash is just taken from me, and as much as I protest and prove the reality – they just give my money back. Luckily it doesn’t happen very often, but buyer complaints are usually in favor of the buyer no matter what. I have to hope that I am dealing with an honest person because they could take full advantage of the system.

8. Howard,

There are thousands of violins with incorrect labels. In the 19th century it seems to have been almost standard practice to put a label in a violin suggesting it was by a famous maker. This as just as likely to apply to an instrument sold today through a famous auction house as by a private seller. No one with the slightest knowledge of violins would make an assumption about the maker based on the label alone. Furthermore, just because an instrument is mislabelled does not mean it is a not a rare and valuable instrument in its own right.

A violin with an incorrect label is not a fake in the same way that a dodgy Rolex is. If that were the case, why are the police not constantly raiding instrument dealers, art and antique galleries and auction houses? An item is only “counterfeit” if it is done with intent to defraud – in which case it should be handed to the police as evidence, not destroyed. What legal authority does Paypal have to order someone to destroy someone else’s property?