Question of the Day

Today’s question comes from Christina:

“If you could relive any day over again, Groundhog Day style, what day would it be?”

I’m gonna guess that the majority of answers to this will be either be babies being born or couples being wed.

And I’m going to be in that majority. It was the day I got married to the love of my life. We’re both shy and hate being the center of attention and we didn’t want to spend a huge amount of money. We decided to go to Vegas and get married in a small chapel. No stressing about caterers, or worrying about seating plans or how family would get along with each other. The focus was about us and our love for each other without any distractions. Perfect.

Comments

1. Julia S.,

The day I left home and went to college would have been my first answer, but having done this amazing week long art intensive it would be that. All seven days over and over again. Happiest time of my life bar none!

And yes, I am married.

2. pvc,

The day I got laid for the first time.

It only goes downhill from there.

• Morbid_Swiss,

I was going to say that, but then I realized how much it would suck to be nine again.

3. OC,

any day would work for me, it would you could make that day the new best day of your life :)

• Bacopa,

or pick a horrible day and set things aright.

• Mark,

Wasn’t that the point of the movie?

Or pick a day when you would be around the most people who could help you with your job or career. The goal of the day would be to solve a major problem in the industry.

(And then two chicks at the same time.)

4. My wedding day was also blissful. But the LAST thing I would want to do would be to take a happy, special occasion, and relive it over and over and over again until it became a nightmare of repetition and drudgery. This is why the notion of heaven is almost as unappealing to me as the notion of hell. Endless bliss is an oxymoron.
    So to answer your question, I would pick a day where I was barely aware of anything, and nothing much happened. Like when I was about a month old or something. Sorry I can’t be more specific, but that’s kind of the point… B-)

• elizabeth,

I’d also pick a day I was unaware of anything. But wouldn’t go as far back as being a month old. Probably a high school day, aged 15 or 16. Reliving that, figuring out why I was so damn miserable, but knowing it all turned out okay would be a huge eye-opener. Also, I’d want that high school day to be a day when we had homeroom, so I could sit next to my dear friend who died when we were 18 and be in his presence again. (We were alphabetically next to each other in our class.)

5. kellyjeanne,

Today is my 14th wedding anniversary. We let our mothers plan our wedding… we just showed up, got married, had a party and went on our honeymoon. It was awesome. We don’t celebrate birthdays or holidays, only our anniversary, so I’d say we’d both vote for our wedding day. :)

6. Chip,

Heh. I’m going to assume it’ll be all men who choose “babies being born.” Having my son was certainly one of the happiest days of my life, but I’d really rather not re-experience the labor, thankyouverymuch.

I think I’d choose a day from a family vacation; enjoying each other’s company with no particular agenda.

7. The day I spent at the Museum of Welsh Liife with my parents when I was a teenager. That trip to Wales was one of the only good things in an otherwise dreary time of life. The museum has an amazing collection of historic buildings that have been moved there, and I think I could learn something new every day and never get bored. And I don’t get to see my parents that often now and miss them.

8. Angry Sam,

Not to sound like approximately 90% of the people in Chris’ town, but it was the day the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004. Rented a car with my friends and drove down from Montreal in the afternoon, caught the beginning of the game on the radio, and parked near my friend’s grandma’s house in Brookline. Bought hot dogs on the street and wandered toward Fenway, then watched the final innings of the game through the window of a bar with thousands of strangers, a few of whom I hugged, including a cop in riot gear.

Okay, so it’s a tie between that and the day I got laid for the first time.

9. Trace,

I’m with Chip, NOT the day I gave birth to either of my kids.

I’d have to say that I’d pick one of the days where I spent the day with hubby and the kids, then dropped said kids off with Grandma so hubby and I could have “alone time”. IfYouKnowWhatIMeantAndIThinkYouDo.

10. Matt,

It would have to be the day I found your Website!

11. Ninabi,

There’s a Japanese film about the afterlife- deceased people go to what looks like an office and the office workers, over the course of a few days, help the newly dead decide what single memory they’d like to live in, forever. Saw it with my daughter and while it wasn’t the best movie we’d ever seen, it gave us “what if” fodder. I’d forgotten about the film until your question.

It’s hard to come up with a single day. Yes- the wedding, the babies being born- truly highlights. But I keep thinking about people- family long gone. Would going back in time to a holiday gathering when I was small, surrounded by shy, sweet, loving people trump a memory of being with the people I love now?

Two different times of happiness. I must think about this one some more.

12. Cornjob,

Don’t anyone take this in the wrong way… but… September 11, 2001. I was in a corporate classroom with a moron of an instructor trying to show us how to use Access. He litereally “freaked” when the statement came down about what had happened when it was all said and done. He KEPT us in the class the entire day! I knew people in Tower One and couldn’t get away from that stupid chair. TO THIS DAY I rightfully bawl my eyes out over each and every documentary because I was not “allowed” to see it first hand.

13. cyni-crow,

Not a single day would I want to repeat. Ever.

14. d,

Having had no babies, nor a wedding, I would go back to childhood- one of those golden summer days that I spent with my grandparents (who are now dead). Way back before the crushing self-doubt of adulthood, or the neuroses of post-pubescent womanhood, or the intense pressure of living up to Everybody’s Expectations- any of those days spent enjoying honeysuckles and family would hit the top of my list.

15. Frank,

I’d have to pick any day visiting my grandparents for the summer from ages 5 to 10.

16. Stewart,

Two chicks at the same time man, two chicks at the same time.

17. John,

My first date with Christine Johnson at Oakland University. She was, and always will be my first and best love. If only I knew where she was now…I think about her almost every day.

18. MadRat,

I can’t think of a day I’d want to relive over and over. However, when I saw Nightmare Before Christmas it made me wonder, what holiday world would I like to live in: Valentine’s Day, St. Patric’s Day, Easter, 4th of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving or Christmas?

19. passerby,

None! And I’m serious. I refuse to dwell on the past. It’s a conscious decision!

20. CRABS,

Well, if it was Groundhog-day style and repeated itself until I got it right, I’d go for reliving the first day I had sex so that I could actually get good at it eventually.