Man Photographing Grandson In Park Deemed Suspicious By Police And Media

From Pixiq.com:

The older, white man was seen photographing children in a public park in Idaho, so it didn’t take long for an overprotective mother to chase him off.

She then called the cops, who in turn alerted the media, who quickly posted articles warning citizens about this dangerous man lurking in the park with his camera, running off after being confronted.

It turns out, the man was just photographing his grandson.

And the only reason he left the park was because the woman was yelling at him.

(via Boing Boing)

Comments

1. roflkopter,

I’m sorry but I’m so fucking sick of society instant damming of men that do anything suspicious. Volunteer for boyscouts, you’re a pedophile. Compliment a women’s appearance, you’re sexist. the list goes on and on and on. The age of the scared white female is upon us.

No one is doing shit about it and it’s getting out of hand.

• MacCrocodile,

There’s a general distrust of any man who wants to work with children. Schools, daycare, etc. Don’t even think of applying if you’re a single man.

Stranger danger has gotten out of control.

• You completely lost me at the bit about this being “the age of the scared white female”. That could’ve just as easily been a freaked out father telling the guy off at the park. I also don’t believe the article mentioned her race. My concern here is that this sounds like it’s veering towards the trendy new “Men’s rights” kind of stuff which tends to go overboard into crazy territory.

• roflkopter,

Sorry, it’s just seems like we have to cater to the vocal minority who oftentimes represented by the people who are most scared. Rightly or wrongly given personal experience the white female came to mind (it was a rant, sorry). Yes it very well could of been a man in this situation but it wasn’t in this instance. So no, I was not going on some vocal trendy tirade of Men’s rights.

It’s the same idea at given airport security, cable news and advertising. If we continue catering to the lowest common denominator or least likely outcome in all points of contention we get crappy service and fewer rights.
        thanks
        (now I’m awaiting accusations of being a libertarian idiot)

2. Theanderblast,

I blame Oprah.

3. Reverend Bob,

They never run me off when I take my video camera with the nightvision lens to the local swimming pool! Why run HIM off?

Having grandkids is tough – it’s no walk in the park, that’s for sure.

5. Imhotep,

There are signs in city parks everywhere stating “No adults allowed without being accompanied by a child.” Guilty just by being present!
    What I usually see are lazy parents playing with their iPhones while their kids run around unsupervised acting like assholes to other kids.

• Rampage_Rick,

In an era where you can catch hell for discriminating based on race, gender, religion, or weight, I’m stunned at the amount of age discrimination that continues to take place. In fact, many laws and regulations lean towards ageism.

• Pretty absurd considering that kids tend to be abused by people they know, not random strangers in a park.

6. Sid,

“Thou shalt not think that any male over the age of 30 that plays with a child that is not their own is a peadophile… Some people are just nice.”

7. outeast,

I was with my kids in a park in london and was warned (by my sister-in-law, who lives there) not to take any pictures catching any other children, because i might get in trouble for it. It gets worse all the time.

• FlamingAtheist,

Heck, don’t the London authorities take everyone’s picture nowadays, or at least streaming video?