Shakesville’s Commenting Policy

My insurance policies are less comprehensive:

Short Rules: Be nice. Be thoughtful. Respect the mods. Hold yourself to the same standards you hold the contributors and other commenters. Have fun.

Long Rules: Comments are open to anyone as long as they don’t troll and/or traffic in racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, ageist, sizeist, or otherwise overtly objectionable commentary based on people’s intrinsic characteristics. Differences of opinion are welcome; no one has ever been nor will ever be banned on a difference of opinion alone. Hate speech, rape apologia, rape jokes and metaphors, violent imagery, threats, trolling, concern trolling, derailing, playing the Oppression Olympics, pointless belligerence, sockpuppeting, silencing tactics, accusations of bad faith, disrespecting the mods, including ignoring them, telling contributors what they should be writing about or how they should be writing about it, and/or invoking the blogmistress’ personal experience to use against her, or doing the same to any of the contributors, mods, or other commenters, could result in any of the following: Your comment edited to remove offending material, your comment replaced with an incredibly sophomoric paraphrase, your comment deleted, and/or your commenting privileges revoked.

Wait, add one more to the list:

[Trigger warning for violence.]

I realize that “I feel stabby” or “That makes me stabbity” and variations thereof are really rather common commenting turns of phrase, even (and maybe especially) on feminist blogs, but they are prohibited in this space, where the commenting policy explicitly prohibits violent imagery.

Oh, and you’re required to read a Feminism primer before commenting.

Comments

1. Nick,

One of my proudest moments was getting banned from Shakesville.

2. That’s why I go to Pandagon instead.

3. Outeast,

One blogger I like has a policy of deleting any comment that is not both substantive and supported by sourced evidence. It doesn’t encourage a lot of comments, but it does lead to a higher standard of debate…

• Up to the blogger what the comment policy is eh. If I don’t like it, I stay away.

Absolutely!

Unfortunately I’m banning you because [trigger warning for sarcasm] you didn’t read chapter 14 section v paragraph 8 sentence 15 on the Cynic’s Guidebook to Proper Commenting Etiquette on Comments.

• Hold on, Chris. He seems to fit the exemption laid out in the codicil to Appendix B. I know this was supposed to have been weeded out in the current edition of the Guidebook, but apparently there was an oversight.

• @damnedyankee,

You mind prefacing that statement with a trigger warning please?

4. Fink,

Don’t knock Shakesville. It’s a great place to meet fat, uptight lesbians with no sense of humor who don’t shave their armpits.

5. Nick,

I’ll trigger your mom’s warning.

6. I haven’t been to shakesville in years and I’m pretty sure I’m banned there. If I’m not, my website’s domain name would probably do the trick. Shame because there actually *is* good feminist blogging going on out on the internet. I think the last time I went there was during her humorless flareup over the PA “dickwolves” strip.

• Stephen,

Yeah. That strip was hilarious. Think I’ll have a chuckle about it now

7. MadRat,

Somebody set us up the bomb! Those rules sound like they were written by the owners of “Women & Women First Bookstore” from Portlandia. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohk-Ey01c9k)

8. babysnaakes,

I don’t see the issue.. when you walk in my house please wipe your feet and don’t shit on my sofa.