Pres. Bush Creates Indefinite Detention System for Prisoners at Guantanamo Bay

Oops. I mean Obama. Well, same difference:

President Obama signed an executive order Monday that will create a formal system of indefinite detention for those held at the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, who continue to pose a significant threat to national security. The administration also said it will start new military commission trials for detainees there.

The announcements, coming more than two years after Obama vowed in another executive order to close the detention center, all but cements Guantanamo Bay’s continuing role in U.S. counterterrorism policy.

Comments

1. Understandable. It’s getting harder to tell them apart.

2. mrclam,

“Same difference” is right. Obama is a bozo sell-out liar who broke his promise on Gitmo and many other (all?) campaign promises. Got Iraq, anybody? On the campaign trail, he also said he’d strike with workers if their collective bargaining were threatened. Well, the liar of the century hasn’t been seen within thousands of miles of either Ohio or Wisconsin. He is shameful and lameful.

• Mike K,

I haven’t even heard him mention the Wisconsin issue. He should at least tell the hiding lawmakers to get back to work.

3. Venture Free,

Does anyone else see this as a convenient way to make political rivals just disappear? Of course no one in their right mind would even try to use it for this purpose because the political backlash would be immediate and career ending, not to mention probably landing them in prison or even getting them killed. But what of the charismatic lunatic who is ready and willing to seize power, damn the consequences? This can only make things easier for him. He basically has a legitimate system by which political enemies can disappear indefinitely and without any legal recourse. Just call them terrorists it’s done. You telling me he isn’t one? You’re defending a known terrorist and so you shall disappear as well!

I know, I know. I’m being paranoid. Like I said, no sane person would do this.

• Mike K,

“Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.”
      -Sun Tzu

He’s a former attorney AND a politician. No telling what he’s capable of.

• Venture Free,

Wow. Reading this back a few hours later, it really sounds like I’m trying to imply something about someone specific. I was actually being somewhat genuine, though. I really do doubt that anyone today would use the law as is for the purpose I laid out. But it does worry me that someone could potentially use it that way.

Apparently me being sarcastic just sounds really stupid, and me being serious sounds really sarcastic.

4. pvc,

Good old Democratic Party tradition it would seem.

5. C.N. Honey Badger,

I’ll take the fact that both sides are really pissed at him and conclude that he’s probably doing a pretty good job.

6. smittypap,

If this keeps up I’ll be jumping on the Birther bandwagon.