Quote of the Weekend

Republicans never miss a chance to exclaim how slavery wasn’t really all that bad :

“Half of all black children are aborted. Far more black children, far more of the African-American community is being devastated by the policies of today, than were being devastated by the policies of slavery.” -Rep. Trent Franks (R-AZ)

Comments

1. Why doesn’t the GOP change their image from the Elephant to the Picard Facepalm?

“Party of Lincoln” my arse.

2. Now, I haven’t read the linked article yet. But I’ve seen arguments like this about abortion here and there, about how many people “were not born” because of abortion. However, real science shows that women bear the same amount of children over a lifetime whether they’ve had an abortion or not. A woman who births an unwanted child when she’s very young will just have fewer children later. So availability of abortion doesn’t change the actual birthrate. What changed the birthrate the most was giving women some control over how many children she births in her lifetime. Women in countries where you can expect most children to survive to adulthood are generally happy with two or three children.

3. Angry Sam,

The Representative seems to have mistaken a fetus for a child. How embarrassing for him! Someone should quietly let him know so he won’t make the same slip-up in the future.

4. No matter how they might try to spin it, this kind of so-called logic always serves to make the repubs look terrible. I believe Rachel Maddow did a segment on this, where she said, “This really shouldn’t be a competition” for who could embarrass themselves with comparisons to slavery. Ay yi yi.

5. Barbwire,

Where would you even start to list the evils of slavery? There is certainly not enough room here to begin to enumerate them. Sometimes I wonder if the basic requirement to be a Republican these days is sheer stupidity. I used to be a Republican, as was everyone in my family. The only one still registered R is my ex mother-in-law. She’s 92, but she’s still sharp. At least she doesn’t VOTE Republican.

6. Dan (the Real one),

The bible mentions slavery as well.