Quote of the Night

From Ainsley Earhardt from, guess what “news” network?

“My question is, if they want to honor the veterans who have passed away, but they’re atheists, they don’t believe in life after death. Who are they honoring?”

(via J-Walk)

Comments

1. hoff,

Well, if they said something like that about any religious group there would be an outcry and she would have to apologize. But atheists? I mean, if they do not really believe any of the moral values written in the bible, why show them any respect?

• Linda,

Seriously? Do you really think that the moral values taught in the bible originated with christianity? The concept of the “golden rule” also appeared in Buddhism some 600 years before christ.
      I am an atheist. I spent four years in the Marine Corps and 17 in the Air Guard. I have been married for almost 25 years and take my vows very seriously. I’m 58 and have worked and paid taxes since I was 16. I do not lie, cheat or steal and out of all the christians at my office I am the one who started the continuing food drive. I’ve raised two children who have never been in any kind of trouble and will continue to contribute to society.
      I have to admit that there are times when I have to sit down and remind myself that I spent 21 years in the military because I thought it was important to be ready to defend your right to free speech and yes, no matter how absurd, even Ainsley’s right to be an idiot.

Gee, I always thought the families of the departed appreciated any honors given to their loved ones. But now I guess I know otherwise.

3. Dan,

Atheists are moral-less so when/why would they ever fight for a Christian crusade? (**massive sarcasm intended**)

4. I agree with Worf.
    Atheist in a foxhole here (and a former firefighter who’s had plenty of ‘oh shit’ moments in burning buildings). I’ll continue to honor my fellow vets, be they any Christian sect, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Zoroastrian, Martian, Frisbee or whatever. Glad I don’t know who this bint is since I don’t watch Faux.

5. Arlo,

Answer…. um…. the veterans?

6. topcat,

atheists dont beleive in a formal god. its doesnt mean that they dont beleive in some form of afterlife.

and it certainly doesnt mean they dont have morals. its just that they take theirs from wherever they see fit. and whose to day that seom from the koran, some from the bible and some from the talmud dont make sense?

7. niel,

So is she only honoring these dead people b/c she’s afraid that they’re watching her from “the other side”???

TEH CRAZY… it’s confusing.

8. Angry Sam,

Christians spend a significant portion of their time talking about how great the afterlife is going to be. So why do we honor Christian veterans? They’d rather be hanging with Jesus on a cloud than serving their country anyway.

9. Burk,

“I mean, if they do not really believe any of the moral values written in the bible, why show them any respect?”

It’s okay, I don’t respect your beliefs, either. :)