Comment of the Day

From dang about Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize:

This is like awarding the Cy Young to a pitcher called up from the minors in August because he finished the season 5-0 with a 1.00 ERA. Let’s wait until he wins 20 games…

I’m torn about this. On one hand, even as an ardent Obama supporter, I’m not really sure how he gets the Nobel Peace Prize when we’re still in Iraq and Afghanistan unless Bush set the bar so low that just basic diplomatic communication with foreign countries is now considered Nobel Prize worthy.

On the other hand, I’m really excited that the Birfers, Becks, Oxycontin abusers, and pseudo-plumbers in Wingnuttia will now give me enough material to post on Cyn-C for the next few months. Put your ponchos on Cynics, the spittle is about to fly.

21 comments

1. …unless Bush set the bar so low that just basic diplomatic communication with foreign countries is now considered Nobel worthy.

I think you pretty much hit the nail right on its head.

2. I am humbled that the Committee has chosen to award me with the “Comment of the Day”. I just wish you had waited until the evening to award this prestigious prize – I have so many good comments left in me.

3. yes, This isn’t about Obama, it’s about Bush, and how much of a negative contribution to the world he and his party are.

4. This is an odd award. You’d expect it to come later in Obama’s presidency and tied to some particular event or accomplishment. But the unmistakable message of the award is one of the consequences of a period in which the most powerful country in the world, the ‘hyper-power’ as the French have it, became the focus of destabilization and in real if limited ways lawlessness. A harsh judgment, yes. But a dark period. And Obama has begun, if fitfully and very imperfectly to many of his supporters, to steer the ship of state in a different direction. If that seems like a meager accomplishment to many of the usual Washington types it’s a profound reflection of their own enablement of the Bush era and how compromised they are by it, how much they perpetuated the belief that it was ‘normal history’ rather than dark aberration.

5. Ah, well. They’ve given the prize to kissinger, gore, and mother teresa, none of whom deserved it. its kind of a joke nobel really isn’t it?

6. Lets put it this way…. Obama has done more for the common good of the world in the last 9 months than ANY political leader has done in the last 8. This is going BEYOND just Bush.

-Opening up to the Muslim Community. Over the past 8 years muslims have had a target on their backs annnnd have also been hostile towards the US.

-Had open relations with North Korea to quickly disband a conflict.

-Has been firm with Iran while still being Diplomatic. Able to get Iran to agree to inspections of its nuclear facilities.

-Has firmly placed US as a leader by example throughout the world. Obama’s excitement has carried into Europe, stabilizing our allies trust in us once again.

7. I hear you Chris. I do find myself more excited in anticipation about the right-wing-nutters’ reactions than about the prize itself.

8. “…unless Bush set the bar so low that just basic diplomatic communication with foreign countries is now considered Nobel worthy.” its almost like they choose him because he is not bush!

and who knew how much fun it would be to watch the wingnuts!

9. The Nobel Prizes are not awarded by referendum. A group of old men in Norway sift through a bunch of names and decide, for their own purposes, who gets THEIR prize. I didn’t know Kanye had so many brothers and sisters. “I’m gonna let you finish, but the Nobel Peace Price should really go to…”

Here’s an idea. You think somebody else should get a Peace Prize? Go invent a powerful explosive, get rich from it and award your own prize.

10. I’m really excited that the Troofers, Olbermans, Maddows, and pseudo-journalists at the New York Times will now ludicrously attempt to explain to us how Obama actually deserves his “Prize”. Pass the popcorn, this is going to be entertaining.

11. Well,you know that Alfred Nobel,the inventor of Dynamite founded the Nobel Prize because he felt guilty about inventing Dynamite!!!

“Gentlemen!!You Can’t Fight In Here!!
    This Is The War Room!!”-President Merkin Muffley:”Dr.Strangelove”.
    “Facts Are Stupid Things.”-Ronald Reagan.
    “Now Flip,Flop and Fly;
    I Don’t Care If I Die.

Now Flip,Flop and Fly;
    I Don’t Care If I Die.
    Don’t Ever Leave Me,
    Don’t Ever Make Me Cry.”
    -Big Joe Turner:”Flip Flop and Fly”.

Comments are closed.