Little People Call for U.S. to Ban the Word ‘Midget’

I always thought that “little person” was the slur since it is insinuating that they’re barely a person and midget was the technical term. But what do I know?

Little people are calling on the Federal Communications Commission to ban the use of the word “midget” on broadcast TV.

The group Little People of America said today the word is just as offensive as racial slurs.

The request was prompted by an April episode of NBC’s “Celebrity Apprentice” that the group said was demeaning.

In the episode, contestants created a detergent ad called “Jesse James and the Midgets.” The contestants, including Joan Rivers, suggested bathing little people in the detergent and hanging them to dry.

I’d be less concerned with the word and more concerned that they’re using little people as laundry. But alas, what do I know? (Very little. I’m not even sure what category to put this under. Racism? How To? Bacon???)

Comments

1. mmmm I sure love midget bacon. Where can I get some?

2. “Little person” just sounds condescending to me. If I were a midget (and it wouldn’t take a removal of many inches to get me there), I would call myself a midget. Or better yet, a dwarf. Dwarfs kick ass (it’s as high as they can reach, amirite?)

Of course, I’ve also stated that if I ever became horribly disfigured, I would hang out at playgrounds and frighten small children for fun, so my opinion may not coincide with the mainstream.

3. Patricio,

I wouldn’t have known all this either except for the fact that years ago a high school classmate of mine had a “little person” child and she told me what the deal was. Little Person = OK. Dwarf = OK. Midget = Not OK. That’s about all you have to know.

4. I’m mere inches from being a “little person.” I consider the term midget distasteful. However, since it is not profane, it should not be banned from the airwaves. If a network chooses not to air it, all well and good, but otherwise freedom of speech protects distasteful speech, too.

5. Adam,

get over it… oh, wait, let me help you… :)

Joking aside, I’d always thought midget & dwarf were two technical terms for different things, as Wikipedia says…’Midget is a term referring to an extremely short person with limbs similarly proportioned to his body as an average-size person’s… Dwarf was originally used to denote those with short limbs as compared to those who had proportioned limbs.’

6. And some little people promote the term. A nearby bar recently had a group of little people come through billing themselves as Midget Wrestlers.

7. Little People are toys my kids play with.

Anyway, “Toss the Dwarf” has a better ring than “Toss the Midget”.

8. Tom Woolf,

I have this adorable cat that I named Midget. When I got him, he was small enough to sit in my hand. Now he’s grown and is pushing 20 pounds, so the name doesn’t quite fit, but what will I call him if Midget is discarded?

“Yo! Biggie!” seems disrespectful of the late BigESmall.

“C’mere, cat!” is too ambiguous – I have 2 cats. Same goes for “furball” (both are long-haired) and “eunuch” (both have been snipped).

I’m sticking with Midget. Sorry, LPA.

9. ace,

The only reason why they are making a sink is for money.

Where does it stop with the censorship? Pretty soon, saying just ANYTHING to anyone will be deemed as “offensive”. The people in this country have gotten so thin skinned it’s sickening.