Saudi Rape Victim Gets 1 Year in Jail and 100 Lashes

From the Saudi Gazette:

JEDDAH – A 23-year-old unmarried woman was awarded one-year prison term and 100 lashes for committing adultery and trying to abort the resultant fetus.
The District Court in Jeddah pronounced the verdict on Saturday after the girl confessed that she had a forced sexual intercourse with a man who had offered her a ride. The man, the girl confessed, took her to a rest house, east of Jeddah, where he and four of friends assaulted her all night long.

The “rape victim” is a term I added. If you notice in the link, they don’t ever call it rape but instead say it was adultery, forced sexual intercourse, and assault.

Comments

1. Ross,

The article “Princess says ready to drive – if allowed” is also pretty charming:

2. lumpi,

America’s ally.

3. LadyLiberty,

The “rape victim” is a term I added.

Thanks Chris. As a rape victim advocate I appreciate it a lot.

4. Barbwire,

They may call it religion, but I call it barbarity, cruel and unusual punishment, blaming the victim. Oh, heck. How are they taken seriously as a member of the international community? That was rhetorical–the answer, of course, is oil.

5. outeast,

I like how the first commenter on that article seems to be criticizing the leniency of the sentence, calling instead for a beheading.

6. Angry Sam,

Saudi Arabia is destroying Arab culture, one inhumane moment after another. I say this without sarcasm: fucking savages.

7. buddylove,

fuck…wtf

8. So they don’t allow women to drive, forcing them to take rides from strangers whom they don’t know which puts them in a vulnerable situation, and when those strangers take advantage of the women, it is the women’s fault? That whole culture is practicing logical abstinence. Talk about entitlement and disillusionment of the males in that society.

9. BK,

dctourist:

You don’t get it. If the woman never left the house or only left when accompanied by an upper caste male or her father, then all would be well. Freedom through inprisonment.

10. Janet Greene,

This is unconscionable. When will we realize that religion is the root of much evil in this world? The fact that we “respect” religion so much in this country, and even give religious organizations tax breaks, is so offensive to me. Why are more people not speaking out about religion? As a former christian fundie-turned-atheist, I have joined free-thinkers on the web. I so appreicate it because I cannot come out to my family (they will suffer terribly thinking that I will burn in hell and beg for a drop of water to cool my burning lips – you know the drill). Let’s keep speaking out – religion will destroy us all (love for armageddon is a common concept in most major religions) if we don’t do something about it.

11. Nina,

Did anyone else get a 401 message while trying to view this article?
    Maybe it’s because I’m female…

12. aqbar,

The Arab’s think they are the best in giving answer to all question. The fact is they all getting far from the truth. That is not the way of ISLAM. They should interpret the meaning of Quran in a very beautiful way. Opsss i forgot that they were using Arabic Language so compare to me who am I? Oppsss i almost forgot,the were (so called)descendant of Muhammad S.A.W. Other Moslem is nothing..

Arrogant Arabs.

13. AG,

I’m with Angry Sam. All the memoirs and history I’ve read, all the time I’ve spent in the region, and I still think the best thing to do is find sustainable alternative sources of energy, offer a 48-hour safe passage to anyone willing to leave the region and its idiotic religious/tribal belief systems (join us in the 21st century!), and glass over everything from the Mediterranean to the Persian Gulf. The region has nothing, absolutely nothing, to offer the world; I’d miss beautiful Damascus, but that’s about it.

14. Seth,

So if I shot someone it’s their fault for getting in the way of the bullet?

Why do Saudis hate women? Or why do they love soul crushing gender roles?

15. ChadManMn,

What a sick and perverse society. Not that we’re perfect, but damn..

16. What a facinating article. I’m looking for a NLP expert to help with a project, who’s your mentor?