The Wyoming Incident

The Wyoming Incident (or The Wyoming Hijacking) is a lesser known case of television broadcast hijacking/hacking. A hacker managed to … all » interrupt broadcasts from a local programming channel (believed to serve several smaller communities in the county of Niobrara) and aired his/her own video. The video contained numerous clips of disembodied, human heads showing various emotions and “poses”. The camera position changed often (usually every ten-to-fifteen seconds) and the video was often interrupted by a “SPECIAL PRESENTATION” announcement. This clip is taken from one of these intervals.

The video is mostly locally well-known, and would probably not even be that popular if it were not for the effects it had on the few residents who watched it for an extended period of time. Complaints included vomiting, hallucinations, headaches, etc. While some believed it was paranormal, specialists have determined that the cause of these afflictions were frequencies played regularly throughout the broadcast. In this clip, the frequency being played is somewhere between 17 and 19 hz. This range of frequency, when played for long periods of time, causes the eyes to subtly vibrate, sometimes inducing visual hallucinations.

This video is significant in that is one of the most recent television hijackings. Such actions were rare even in the ’80s (search for Chicago Max Headroom Incident) and are even more rare today. The hacker has not yet been caught, and all attempts to trace the video have proven futile.

Related:

Wikipedia’s entry on Broadcast signal intrusion.

Comments

1. Peter,

Interesting, but…

The human ear can only barely hear down to 20 Hz. 19 Hz is pretty much inauble. As a result most speakers aren’t built to reproduce those frequencies. Maybe hi end speakers could but not likely on TVs and less likely on computers.

Basically you’d only get that eye vibrating effect (if it’s real) with special equipment playing those low frequencies loud.

2. Kelly,

I must have missed the airing of the episode. When was this aired? I know some people here in Niobrara County they might be a little off but I doubt this ever happened.

3. Tyrel Lohr,

No, this is a complete hoax – definitely a game or promotion of some sort. If anyone ever bothered to visit here, they would know that this could never have happened. The backstory is laughable. We barely pickup radio stations from 60 miles away, and the number of over-the-air broadcast channels can be counted on one hand (two or three, maybe?).

4. Chris,

This video is a hoax, but the story is not.
    The TV hijacking did happen in Wyoming, and some people did feel ill due to the frequency’s that where used (not 100% positive about this). but thats as far is it went.

This video, and many others like it, were e-mailed to people on a Alternate Reality Gaming website, where the maker(s) of these new videos, claimed that watching these videos had a very ‘The Ring-like’ effect to it (some people go insane and/or kill themselves)
    The forum loved this, of course.

I cant remember the details as it was a while back, but eventually things got a little out of hand, with those involved with the game being asked to sit in the dark, facing a corner and imagine the most inconceivably frightening manifestation creeping behind you. This can be dangerous, depending on a persons mental state.
    Somehow we found out that it was another forum that was making the videos and making up the stories, so it ended there.

Oh, and the music used in this video is from an early Silent Hill game; the music is played slowly and/or backwards. The faces are made with a 3D modeling program which I cant remember the name of.

There are other videos out there on Youtube. There was also the original video (the real one) on Google video sometime ago, but im not sure if its still up.

5. Jason,

No, the video is even a hoax. The whole thing was concocted by people on the Something Awful forums. The music in the opening sequence of the video is the WGBH Boston (pbs channel) logo music played backwards and slowed down, as a reference to earlier forum discussions about how many people found that logo music creepy in it’s standard form.

The charade was originally launched in a discussion of a real broadcast hijacking event, but no one caught on to it and ignored it. It was launched again as a standalone thread about a month later, and the members of the forums all tried to figure out what was going on, a (fake) serial killer forum (that was used for a previously abandoned alternate reality game) was introduced, and had some information about the origin of the videos. After a couple weeks it seemed as if the organizers of the ‘game’ simply got tired of it and revealed that “twas all for boners.” implying that they had fun “pulling one over” on the forums. All the while, the organizers (and some of the participants) introduced another ARG forum to the game, which I suspect Chris above was a part of.

It was an interesting ARG for sure, and refreshing in that it was not a promotion for anything.

6. John,

It appears there is a new video discovered and it dates to THIS month….November 2007

7. Jones,

That’s fucking funny. I always wondered what happened to the Wyoming Incident. I was obsessed with that GBS thread about video hijacking and the people who got involved in the ARG that surrounded it were driving themselves crazy trying to figure out where it was going. I never saw the endgame, but that sounds like the GBS that I know.

8. Anonymous Wyoming Resident,

I have lived in wyoming my whole life. I saw these videos on youtube and freaked out… but I had my reasons…

What I came to say is this…

This is a hoax, but there is a certain amount of truth to this story… I have a friend who grew up on a ranch about a mile north of Lusk, wyoming. I remember him talking about something like this, but it was years ago… I don’t believe that it was a television hijacking… but something very similar. I will have to ask my friend about this the next time I see him. I will post my findings…

9. Dale,

I do believe this is true, but for some reason, i don’t hear or read about people who actually experienced this. How come? It leaves me in doubt.

10. rp,

well, i can tell you my amazing wyoming incident story i guess… i was one of the first to find this video and it was by complete coincidence. i was shown the max headroom piracy incident on youtube by a friend and decided to look up broadcast signal intrusion on wikipedia. this was approx. a week after the perpetrators of the W.I. decided to set the ball in motion, although it should be noted that the original google video had been online but ignored for several months. once i alerted a few people to this vid and several others happened to come across it, the speculation started growing like wildfire. seeing that a frenzy was building, the SA perpetrators then decided to run with it and linked us to a defunct blog and the cubing forum. it was all immaculately done and very impressive and downright creepy. it all began to unravel once they had some guys in indiana going on wild goose chases and the videos sort of lost their power. but for 2 weeks or so it had me and several others on the edges of our seats. a very interesting little piece of internet history for sure and well executed.

11. In occult circles, the number 333 is associated with an ‘entity’ (which exists if you believe in it, and does not, if you don’t) called ‘Choronzon’. It was once described in various magickal texts (notably by Aleister Crowley) as a demon that is ‘the most dreaded of all the forces of evil’.

There are others who find Choronzon more complex and interesting than a ‘devil’.

Two of them decided to use it as a name for a project…a music project, though it’s more than just a ‘band’. I believe these videos might be a bit of fallout from that project even though their creators do not likely know this (unless someone told them!)

A few years ago, there was an extended ‘working’ called New World Chaos…in which these two individuals – one based in California, one in Florida, enacted a program for this entity Choronzon to follow…one that was supposed to bring about various subtle changes to the subconscious American under-mind.

Essentially, various cultural fabrics of the USA were to become unraveled – particularly the ones involved with mindless patriotism and monotheism. Other threads were to knit themselves. It was all supposed to implant via this entity Choronzon–or just the IDEA of Choronzon, maybe?–into the country’s mass mind.

The event had many results. There was a distinct anti-Bushist slant to this particular work and so it is rather interesting to note that the House resolution to impeach Bush ended up being H.R. 333.

The year that the ritual was done was the year Katrina happened and at that point the tide of public opinion, which had run in majority favor of Bush and of the war in Iraq, did turn, in that year, to the opposite pole.

It is one of the most successful magickal workings in recent times, and these hoax videos are yet more evidence that there was some effect, albeit scattered, from the strange doings of this pair.

It makes one wonder what could happen were they truly focused…or if there were more individuals involved.

The website linked to here talks about something called the “333 Current”. It could be, of course, possible that the hoax used this as its inspiration. I do not know what to think…though I have my opinions and

12. Leon7386,

A couple years ago I was enthralled with this and I did some research. As it turns out it was all a joke by the people on the somethingawful forums as was posted above.

The story is actually much more intricate spanning worldwide and delves quite a way into the past. The videos being the most recent media that the messages were recorded on. They were “supposedly” always in existence. It’s actually quite interesting and kinda freaky if you really let the videos sink in.

13. WIndowsProtecter,

I think thats the weirdest fuckin thing i have ever seen…And it shold be taken off the net because its so weird. F*ck That shit its too weird for me