Walmart and the Nazi SS Skull T-Shirts

Oh walmart, walmart, walmart

I stopped in at Wal-Mart today after I got off work. I had to pick up a few things. As I was walking past the men’s clothing area, something caught my eye. I noticed something weird over at a wall of t-shirts. One of the t-shirts had a design on it that looked remarkably like something related to Nazis. Specifically, the Totenkopf or “Death’s Head”.

I took a picture of it with my camera phone.

The Death’s Head symbol was worn by the members of the German Nazi SS. The Totenkopf on the Wal-Mart t-shirt looks very similar to the divisional insignia of the 3rd SS Division Totenkopf. As you can see, It’s almost an exact copy.

And Walmart responds:

Good morning. My name is Marshall Manson. I work for Edelman doing online public affairs for Wal-Mart. I noticed your post about the t-shirts that Wal-Mart is selling. I wanted to make sure you saw the company’s statement about this and knew that Wal-Mart is now removing the t-shirts from its stores. Obviously, with a company as big as Wal-Mart, that may take a day or two.

The statement is just below. If you would like to discuss anything, feel free to respond to this e-mail.

Statement from Wal-Mart:

We were not aware of the origins of the image until this morning when we learned about it through the blog Bent Corner.

20 Comments

  1. Lots of comments on the blogger’s page about Nazi’s (and Russians) but no mention, so far, that U.S. Air Cav used the symbol during Vietnam…. where’s the outrage about that? Besides, the Wal-mart shirt is just a rip of the FUCT tee “Search And Destroy” (made as an ironic social statement on things like… well.. walmart using the imagery with no concept of its history.)

    oh the irony.

  2. I have a Wehrmacht helmet that my grandfather picked up during the ETO, and I display it….it’s historically significant, and a not-so-gentle reminder that evil in this world is real.

    That said, an SS emblem on a Wal*Mart shirt? Good lord.

  3. Yeah, as much as I don’t care for Wal-Mart and their heinous business practices, I see this as something that probably just slipped through the cracks (the cracks being in the designer’s head).

    The person who “designed” the t-shirt graphic probably did a Google search for “skull and bones”. This thing popped up and they just plopped it in photoshop w/o much consideration of its history.

  4. So what if it has to do anything with anything! WallMart is a corporate behemoth and they do their own bad in their own way. The Hollocost was a stain on all humanity, not just Gentiles on Jews. Sure, we should remember it but not obscess about it. Genocide is something we are all, unfortunately, capable of. The Torrah is chock-full of examples of it (generally ordered by God). WallMart exists to make money, not to espouse philosophies. If you want to go after neo-Nazis, go after them, not WalMart. They are not expressing all of our philosophies, if any. They’re selling shirts!!!

  5. … If it was Wallmart, there’s about a 90% chance that shirt came from China. 10% chance it came from some other Third World nowhere.

    … I understand the Chinese print only what’s ordered. I am curious where that order originated. The previous “Google Search” comment seems quite possible.

    … All that said, there’s still the question of SS T-shirts being sold at Wallmart. Should it be stopped?

    … In my opinion, no. Let people wear what they wish. When fashion, even low-brow Wallmart fashion is policed, that’s just too much. Perhaps a little sign attached to the bin where these shirts are stocked: “Nazi SS T-Shirts” would be sufficient.

  6. Nobunaga, I agree with you completely. If you want to protest a deliberate action that a leader has taken to hurt you, just look at the President. Nobody was ever killed by a swastika, or any other symbol. People are killed, tortured and punished by other people. Don’t villify cloth!

  7. Yes many American sold products are made in China, but as for apparel it’s not designed in china. It’s designed stateside and then printed in China. But, for a simple item like that with a one color screenprint there’s really no reason to make it in China. The money you save on materials/labor gets eaten up by your freight.

  8. hi, please can someone help me find one of these tee shirts. i live in the uk so i cant get them here. i can paypal or mail the payment. please help. thanks, mark.

Comments are closed.