The Shaving Cream Racket

I’m not as militant about it as this guy but I don’t use the stuff either (Just hot water and the Trac II).

But someone has to say it: shaving cream is a racket.

Why don’t people know this? It’s just part of the lost knowledge of our time. Wean yourself from it for a week, and you will find that your shaves will be closer, unbloody, and quick. Imagine a full shave in less than a minute, with no cuts, gashes, or discomfort. It is within your grasp.

You won’t have the face of a tenderized chicken breast. Your skin will be solid and robust. You will feel the same revulsion I do as you encounter that long row of shaving products at the drug store. You too will feel pity on the seventh eights of the human race that does not understand this simple point.

Why is the world hooked on this stuff? Here’s what happens. Early on in a person’s life, when whiskers and stubble begin to appear on the skin, the young teen is presented a razor and a can – a can with a squirting top that releases a foam. It is a charming little foam. The child is taught to rub it on and then shave it off.

(via Bifurcated Rivets)

Comments

1. cerebulon,

I fully agree. I’ve been shaving with hand soap for about 8 years now. I started after I realized that the little white strips at the top of my Gillette was actually just regular soap. Shaving foam is a waste of money. So is the mach 3 and so is the schick quatro. The more blades means more hair gets stuck in the gaps and their poor design does not allow you to get the hair back out to continue shaving. I am sticking to Gillette Sensor and handsoap.

2. LL,

I will have to try this. It took me a while to find a shaving cream that doesn’t cause me alergic reactions (Aveno) but I never thought to just give it up. Thanks for the idea.

3. Chris,

LL, hot water has always worked for me as long as my face is wet. If I have gone a few days without shaving then I use regular soap along with it and it seems to work fine.

4. Sam IO,

In the US Navy we learned to shave without cream. Been doing without it ever since. Don`t recommend a dry shave.

5. Bill,

It seems one of the keys to blade longevity on razors is the coarseness of your facial hair. Short stubble is said to have the coarseness of copper wire, which nicks the heck out of the blade. I’ve read the best thing to do is soften the hair you’re going to shave with warm water and some kind of lubricant, such as soap, shaving oil or shaving cream. I wouldn’t use just water and no thanks on shaving dry.

Found some interesting shaving ideas here:

6. Damron,

I’ve been shaving with Dial bar soap for years. I exclusively shave in the shower – I can’t get a close shave standing over a sink.

7. Ryan,

I like shaving cream because it allows me to see which parts of my face I’ve shaved and which parts I still have to shave. That way I know I got everything. Plus, it smells nice.

Plus, how much does a can costs, like a buck twenty-five and it lasts 3 months? Why not just buy it.

8. Schmoo,

“it allows me to see which parts of my face I’ve shaved and which parts I still have to shave”

If you can’t tell the difference, then why does it matter?

9. gorckat,

If you can’t tell the difference, then why does it matter?

I always miss the spot at the hinge of my jaw just under my ear.

10. Damron,

I shave exclusively by feel in the shower – no mirrors. When I get out, I trim around my sideburns and I’m done. I use better disposable razors.

11. Haven’t been using shaving cream/gel a lot, it has never made much sense to me, much better shaving in the shower.

12. Um, dunno if this is a stupid question or not, but does the same go for shaving legs? Hehe…

13. LL,

Tried it this morning (in the shower as always) and no problems. The shave is a close as ever and my skin feels fine. Now I wish I had heard of this years ago. It would have saved me many miserable days from alergies, and a few bucks on shaving cream.

14. Why not just use decent face lotion? Like regular lubriderm? It’s cheaper and not quite as grating as shaving without anything.

*heh* Mostly I like the smell of shaving cream. ;)

Handsoap on my face… eh, not so much. I’ve learned my lessons about soaps and lotions. Use a facial soap, and use a little lotion (if you’ve got oily skin, even more so, it keeps your face from pumping out the oil to make up for what you stripped off of there with handsoap)

15. Any tactical approach to shaving is bound to give some discomfort and irritation simply because the act of shaving is in itself unnatural. Adult males are simply not intended to walk around with smooth baby cheeks. So I think that in addition to asking yourselves if you have been duped into buying additional shaving products you never really needed, you should ask yourself if you really needed any at all.

16. Seth,

Storm, my facial hair is patchy and just looks like facial pubes, so I would shave regardless.

I also only shave in the shower. And will probably stop using shaving cream. Thanks Cynical-C!

17. Chris,

Facial pubes….. This has turned into one heck of a thread.

18. Mot,

There are many thing that are true – the state is a parasite on society, private property would solve most social problems, rock music is tedious and stupid – but are nonetheless not generally known or applied.

As a rock ‘n’ roll-loving socialist, there’s absolutely no way I’m trusting this bloke’s views on shaving cream. Or anything else.

19. I stopped using shaving cream on my legs when I lived in Europe and had no idea what half the products on the shelf were (& was earning a 10th of the salary I’d made in the U.S. so couldn’t afford ‘extravagances’ like shaving cream anyways.) I find, as long as I’m not using cheap soap, my legs do fine. The age of the razor is far more important that the product on my legs.

20. The Illiterate Mind Reader,

when i was young i didn’t even know that shaving cream was normal, i alway thought it was an extra for people with problem skin. So i have always used water and a razor with that strip that soap strip and it worked perfectly… i recently started using shaving cream and i began realising that i the first cream was goed but the comercials said the second was better so i bought te second but the result didnt change :P so now i’m back to cream/gel-less shaving and it feels much better.

21. itsmectazydad,

I use hair conditioner, in the shower.