Select a few parameters and this site will help tell you what to pack for almost any trip.
I think this may be the list of the week. Below is a section based on death by contractible diseases.
* 200,000,000 – Bubonic Plague (worldwide, 1300s)
* 100,000,000 – Plague of Justinian (Europe 540-590) (disputed)
* 10,000,000 – 100,000,000 – deaths from diseases in Europe(millions) and the Americas (tens of millions) from diseases exchanged between continents after 1492
* 50,000,000 – Spanish Flu (worldwide, 1918 – 1919)
* 19,000,000 – AIDS (worldwide, 1981 – )
* 10,000,000 – Bubonic Plague (China, 1892 – 1896)
* 5,000,000 – Antonine Plague Roman Empire 165 – 180
* 4,000,000 – Asian Flu pandemic (worldwide, 1957)
* 1,000,000 – Hong Kong Flu pandemic (worldwide, 1968)
* 130,000 – North American smallpox epidemic (1775 – 1782)
* 60,000 – Great Plague of London (1665)
* 775 – Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) (Mostly East Asia, few cases in Europe, Canada and United States, 2002-2003)
* 677 – West Nile Virus outbreak (North America, 1999 – 2004)
Nine of them are from the Cuban Missle Crisis. And you can’t convince me that #19 wasn’t because of the WOPR.
The Warning displays at the Command Centers mentioned in the last episode included windows that normally showed
0000 ICBMs detected 0000 SLBMs detected
At 2:25 a.m. on June 3, 1980, these displays started showing various numbers of missiles detected, represented by 2′s in place of one or more 0′s. Preparations for retaliation were instituted, including nuclear bomber crews staring their engines, launch of Pacific Command’s Airborne Command Post, and readying of Minutemen missiles for launch. It was not difficult to assess that this was a false alarm because the numbers displayed were not rational.
While the cause of that false alarm was still being investigated 3 days later, the same thing happened and again preparations were made for retaliation. The cause was a single faulty chip that was failing in a random fashion. The basic design of the system was faulty, allowing this single failure to cause a deceptive display at several command posts.
The following incident is added to illustrate that even now, when the Cold War has been over for 8 years errors can still cause concern. This particular one could have hardly brought nuclear retaliation.; but there are still 30,000 nuclear weapons deployed, and two nuclear weapon states could get into a hostile adversarial status again.
This site has all kinds of interesting stats to keep a history buff occupied for some time.
In case you were wondering:
Get that damn camera away from me.
Two weeks ago, a neighbor was giving away free kittens and I made the mistake of going to take a look at them. There were five of them and all but one came over to me and the soon to be Mrs Cynic. The one that stayed behind had such a look of disgust at his brothers and sisters and their unabashed sycophantical meowing that I knew that this cat had to go home with us. So ladies and gents I introduce to you Cynical-C(at). And I promise, this will be the last cat blogging post. I swear. Seriously.
The nine paintings were created on the Palestinian side of the barrier.
One depicts a hole in the wall with an idyllic beach, while another shows a mountain landscape on the other side.